Latest topics
» Registering a James for the first time...
Today at 6:30 pm by rdaustin

» Off-set when building rear wheel.
Today at 10:14 am by trophy

» Cruiser 39 Gearbox
Yesterday at 4:36 pm by kerabo

» Off-set when building rear wheel.
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:43 pm by trophy

» Rigid frame rear stand.
Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:16 pm by woodenhead

» CRUISER 80 FOR SALE
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:32 pm by MR SINBAD

» Clutch Corks
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:38 pm by kerabo

» 1938 wanderer werke. Villiers
Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:42 pm by Turbojim

» engine id
Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:53 pm by intrudin

Merlin 52 Fork washer size

Go down

Merlin 52 Fork washer size

Post  blackjak on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:07 am

I am in the process of rebuilding the forks for my Merlin model 52 due to the wheel not holding central. I note in JH Goddard book they identify two washers which I do not have. These are number 26 and 30. Can some one please tell me what size they are. I am presuming part 30 would be a dished washer as part 29 is dished. Also how much force should I use to remove the spring from the slider tube. Goddard's says this is a tri-pressure coil spring and I was wondering if they can be re tempered? Thanks in advance.

blackjak

blackjak

Back to top Go down

spring removal

Post  piston 197 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:43 am

To remove the spring, , remove the top yoke ( centre nut and two horizontal bolts through the top of the fork legs) and undo the nut in the centre of the cup inside the top of each leg.
The fork bottoms complete with springs can now be drawn out from the bottom ( obviously wheel and mudguard has to come off first).When you have the legs out place a drift against the end of the spring where it is wound onto the bottom sliders and tap the spring round to remove it from the spiral on the leg. Any amount of twisting of the spring will not remove it, as it will just tighten on the leg and go nowhere fast !

JH
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re tempering springs.

Post  seipgam on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:48 am

It has been suggested to me that re tempering is a very short term solution, I had some new ones made for my Kestrel about 5 years ago by S&S Springs in Melbourne, and still good as you would expect.

In hindsight though I should have had them made a little stiffer (1 or 2 less coils).

Geoff.
seipgam
seipgam

Back to top Go down

Re: Merlin 52 Fork washer size

Post  blackjak on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:17 am

Thanks John and Geoff. I have taken the forks apart and there is no visual damage to the springs and both seem to compress at the same rate. i will have this checked out more accurately on Monday. One fork leg did not move as freely as the other so I am thinking i will need to not only replace the springs but also those "easy to find" slider bushes. Is there a compression chart in relation to the spring compression/pressure I should be looking at?

blackjak

blackjak

Back to top Go down

Re: Merlin 52 Fork washer size

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down