Latest topics
» One from every year
Today at 10:40 pm by kerabo

» Speedo drive - Rear wheel
Today at 5:32 pm by piston 197

» American thoughts of a British Bike Cruiser 39.
Today at 5:10 pm by John Wakefield

» NEW CLUB MEMBERS
Today at 10:40 am by piston 197

» Cruiser 39 gear change
Yesterday at 5:16 pm by kerabo

» Re-register Cruiser/Falcon
Yesterday at 1:08 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» Cruiser carb
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm by kerabo

» External coil mod
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am by bigpete

» Key switch for Villiers
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:32 pm by kerabo

Leg shields

Go down

Leg shields

Post  FBKev on Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:42 pm

During my routine perusal of ebay noticed these as a newly listed item.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-OF-FRANCIS-BARNETT-JAMES-LEG-SHEILDS-PERIOD-WITH-BRACKET-TO-FIT-REF-B3X/264126239408?hash=item3d7f2692b0:g:BPkAAOSwwXRcEnmA:rk:17🇵🇫0
May be of help to someone, though no doubt JH has loads of them and I am just failing to be helpful lol!
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Fb legshields

Post  piston 197 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Yes not a big seller and people do not seem to realise that they are individually tailored for different models, The hard bit to find is always the fitting brackets, so any set with brackets is a better bet, i have loads of the legshield themselves and cannot remember last time anybody wanted them , The Pre-war Cruiser ones which were a standard fitment on all bikes are deirable, but the accessory ones post war are not .
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

leg shields

Post  mike Sayer on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:18 pm

I have leg shields for two of my Cruiser 84`s, they seem to compliment the bike and add to the effect of the model being more weatherproof, therefore cleaner to ride to work on!!! Add a perspex screen and you`ll be cooking on gas !
My legshields came without fixing brackets but ( yes, you`ve guessed it ), I made a set & have drawn details, I would stress the brackets will certainly fit the Cruiser 84 , but as for other models.......................?
Mike Sayer.
Embarassed
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Brackets

Post  piston 197 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm

I think the Cruiser 84 only has bottom brackets, the top being bolted to the crash bar ?
On the round tube models ( Falcon etc) there is a 2 piece aluminium casting which clamps around the front down tube. Unfortunately like the legshields the clamps are different for different models.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

crash bar

Post  mike Sayer on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:51 pm

John, you are correct, the 84 crash bar has captive nuts welded to it a short distance from each end and the top part of each side legshield has a hole in it to allow a screw to attach the top of each legshield to the crash bar. As far as the 84 is concerned then, a crash bar is a necessary attachment if the fitting of legshields is contemplated.
There are three brackets which secure the lower part of the legshields, one each side of the fabricated main down tube, bolted to the upper front engine mount/ down tube, then there is a bracing bracket linking the two side brackets together to give rigidity.
Mike Sayer.
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Re: Leg shields

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down