» cruiser 80 clutch adjusting screw ?
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 am by kerabo

» Speedo cable
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:18 am by FBKev

Cruiser carb

Go down

Cruiser carb

Post  kerabo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:02 pm

On my Cruiser 39 the Villiers Carb has a second cable that alters the needle and so the mixture. I have had it all apart but wonder if anyone knows the starting point for setting the needle so I can get it started and adjust from there?
Thanks Ken

kerabo
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Needle position

Post  piston 197 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:38 pm

To start the needle has to be in the raised ( rich ) position, the equivalent of choke, Goddards books says "When starting from cold it is an advantage to employ a rich mixture,by means of the jet control and can be moved towards the weak position as the engine warms up .The correct setting is obtainedwhen, for normal riding,the jet lever is midway between the rich and Weak extremes. It was never intendedthat the engine should be run with the jet lever fully in the Weak position and to do this is merely courting disaster,since the engine will inevitably overheat with pre-ignition or worse still piston seizure"
It does not give a distance for the needle from the bottom of the slide in either the weak or rich position, but if the needle is set at about half way between fully out and fully in with the lever in mid position you will by experimenting be able to find the sweet spot ?

JH
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Carb settings

Post  kerabo on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Cheers John

Yes I guess half way would be close for starting. It's just that I will be fitting new cables onto the needle. Once it starts I can soon see if it's rich or weak. The book makes a big thing about making sure you turn it towards rich as your speed increases.

Regards Ken
kerabo
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Cruiser carb

Post  davin999 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm

kerabo wrote:On my Cruiser 39 the Villiers Carb has a second cable that alters the needle and so the mixture. I have had it all apart but wonder if anyone knows the starting point for setting the needle so I can get it started and adjust from there?
Thanks Ken

Hi Ken, looking at your photo are your copper pipes from the oil tank connected to the rear of the crankcase ?

davin999

Back to top Go down

Oil Pipes

Post  kerabo on Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Yes the seem to go into the crankcase rear. I have not got to that part of the bike yet but will be blowing them out and priming them.

Regards Ken
kerabo
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks Ken.Yet another anomaly with this Cruiser i have, my fittings are on the front of the crankcase i don`t have the copper pipes just some of the missing parts i`ll have to make, the problem is once the engine is fitted in the frame it will be impossible to get at the fittings in the crankcase it`s according to the V5 it`s a 1935 Cruiser i have my doubts i think i`s just a collection of Cruiser parts thrown together though the frame number matches the V5 but has no relation to F/B number, the fork blades are fitted the wrong way round,the headlight is the wrong Miller type,the instrument panel is from a later Cruiser fitted with a magneto.Re the engine i wonder if J.H can tell me if the Cruiser engine was fitted to any other bikes i`m sure there must be a long list and if it would be possible to date it from the engine number BY 1951

cheers
Dave

davin999

Back to top Go down

engine date

Post  piston 197 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:32 pm

I cannot date your engine accurately, but from the numbering system i would think it predates the frame ? i would expect the engine to be a BYP or BYF rather than just a BY ??
The engine BY went into a variety of machines both motorcycle and industrial and was still being built as late as 1939, but from the low engine number of yours i would think it is more likely 1932/33

JH
piston 197
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Cruiser

Post  kerabo on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:44 pm

davin999 wrote:Thanks Ken.Yet another anomaly with this Cruiser i have, my fittings are on the front of the crankcase i don`t have the copper pipes just some of the missing parts i`ll have to make, the problem is once the engine is fitted in the frame it will be impossible to get at the fittings in the crankcase it`s according to the V5 it`s a 1935 Cruiser i have my doubts i think i`s just a collection of Cruiser parts thrown together though the frame number matches the V5 but has no relation to  F/B number, the fork blades are fitted the wrong way round,the headlight is the wrong Miller type,the instrument panel is from a later Cruiser fitted with a magneto.Re the engine i wonder if J.H can tell me if the Cruiser engine was fitted to any other bikes i`m sure there must be a long list and if it would be possible to date it from the engine number BY 1951

cheers
    Dave
I know it may sound silly but is it possible you engine could be in the wring way round?
If the piles are on the front or has it been built with everything else correct but the cases turned.
kerabo
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:08 pm

piston 197 wrote: I cannot date your engine accurately, but from the numbering system i would think it predates the frame ? i would expect the engine to be a BYP or BYF rather than just a BY ??
The engine BY went into a variety of machines both motorcycle and industrial and was still being built as late as 1939, but from the low engine number of yours i would think it is more likely 1932/33

JH

Thanks John, that fits in my thinking it`s a bitsa.

davin999

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 pm

I know it may sound silly but is it possible you engine could be in the wring  way round?
If the piles are on the front or has it been built with everything else correct but the cases turned.

Thought of that one but are marked L and R and are correctly fitted, i think JH has hit the nail on the head that this engine isn`t the correct one for a 1935 Cruiser.

davin999

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks for your input guys i can get away with these crankcases if i make and fit the copper pipes then drop the bottom half of the engine in the frame It`s very confusing re XIV-A 14A engine numbers Ken can you tell me what letters are before your engine number only i`ve looked up in the following books the Browning book of Villiers engines the Roy Bacon Villiers book and the Villiers Everybody's Engine book,
BY air cooled autolube
BYP 1932-1940 air cooled petroil
BYX 1934 XVII-A air cooled petroil

only i want to put an advert for the correct cases on the forum and the club magazine you never know someone may have a set that's been under the bench for years and i want to get the correct ones if possible.

and Ken, make sure your oil pipes and the oil tank cap are 100% airtight or the system dose`nt work properly.
and make sure the little joggle wire is free in the vent hole if the vent is blocked when you stop the engine all the oil in the tank will syphon into the crankcase.

davin999

Back to top Go down

Crankcases

Post  kerabo on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 am

Hi David my cases or engine is BYF. I haven't been able to trace these but other people with the same bike have the sane markings so I so I am happy they are correct.

I didn't get as far as my oil supply yet but have not heard talk of the jiggle wire or a breather.I was under the assumption the tank is sealed and only the difference in the pressures of the pipes moves the oil.
I have quiet a lot of info on this but have not studied it yet.

The man that does know these very well is member Trevor wells.

Regards Ken
kerabo
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks Ken i think you have solved the crankcase issue BYF is not mentioned in any of the books i referred to and that the BYF cases are special for the Cruiser maybe that's what the F stands for which had the need for the oil feeds to be at the rear of the cases.
The oil tank is fully sealed the vent hole is internal when you undo the large hexagon on top of the tank on the fitting underneath you will see a very small hole which should on the Mark 3 have a thin wire through it to stop the hole getting blocked because if it does all the oil will drain into the crankcase.

davin999

Back to top Go down

Oil Tank

Post  kerabo on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Ahhhh so you mean on the Banjo Bolt.

OK I will make sure that all clear.

hank you Ken
kerabo
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:33 pm

kerabo wrote:Ahhhh so you mean on the Banjo Bolt.

OK I will make sure that all clear.

hank you Ken

Ken the hole is on the fitting with the oil pipe fittings in a recess
under the banjo

cheers Ken

davin999

Back to top Go down

Engine for sale

Post  kerabo on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm

David

Someone is offering a BYF engine for sale on Facebook. It won't let me share it and no price. Look up Francis Barnett Apperaction Group.
Or if your stuck and interested I will ask for details.

Ken

He said as he has no idea if a price it will go on eBay
So watch out if interested.
kerabo
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:20 pm

kerabo wrote:David

Someone is offering a BYF engine for sale on Facebook. It won't let me share it and no price. Look up Francis Barnett Apperaction Group.

Ken

Hi Ken,thanks for the tip off i bought the engine it`s arrived to-day,spot on the BYF crankcases are the correct ones for the autolube Cruiser with the oil fittings at the rear.

Dave

davin999

Back to top Go down

Post  kerabo on Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:48 pm

davin999 wrote:
kerabo wrote:David

Ken

Hi Ken,thanks for the tip off i bought the engine it`s arrived to-day,spot on the BYF crankcases are the correct ones for the autolube Cruiser with the oil fittings at the rear.

Dave
Good all sorted
kerabo
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  davin999 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:01 pm

Ken, did you lift the head on your Cruiser if so was there a head gasket.

cheers
Dave

davin999

Back to top Go down

Head

Post  kerabo on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 pm

Sorry but I haven't had the head off.
Hoping I don't have to.
Regards Ken
kerabo
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down