Latest topics
» New Member
Today at 2:04 am by stevenbell

» Frame end plugs
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:07 pm by kerabo

» Falcon Trials & Scrambler Fuel Tanks
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:58 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» New Rims for plover
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:45 pm by Rex Stewart

» 2019 Event List update
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:38 pm by John Wakefield

» Cambridge Classic Bike Show
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:55 pm by John Wakefield

» Old pre-mix.
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm by kerabo

» Browser problems
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:10 pm by zorteus

» shows old and new
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:01 pm by zorteus


Miller Switch for Cruiser

Go down

Miller Switch for Cruiser

Post  kerabo on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:50 pm

From a Velo LE but I think the correct switch minus the resistor wire.

Someone was looking for one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372534609266
kerabo
kerabo

Posts : 2645
Join date : 2008-02-11
Age : 68
Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Miller Switch for Cruiser

Post  John Wakefield on Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:16 pm

kerabo wrote:From a Velo LE but I think the correct switch minus the resistor wire.

Someone was looking for one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372534609266

These switches are for 4 stroke applications with bikes that have DC dynamos and AVC units.
They are not suitable for Villiers engines as many Greeves owners have found. They dont have the additional switching for the extra lighting coil to balance out headlight.

John Wakefield

Posts : 127
Join date : 2017-08-31

Back to top Go down

DC generator

Post  piston 197 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:02 pm

John Wakefield wrote:
kerabo wrote:From a Velo LE but I think the correct switch minus the resistor wire.

Someone was looking for one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372534609266

These switches are for 4 stroke applications with bikes that have DC dynamos and AVC units.
They are not suitable for Villiers engines as many Greeves owners have found. They dont have the additional switching for the extra lighting coil to balance out headlight.

The prewar Cruiser DOES have a DC generator , a Miller one with a built in regulator, I think John you are being confused with the Post war cruisers with the AMC engine which had an AC Alternator, the Post war Villiers and AMC engines do not ( unlike Greeves) use any Miller components switches or anything else, the original poster was referring to a pre-war Cruiser with Miller DC generator as shown in his Avatar
JH
piston 197
piston 197
Moderator

Posts : 4309
Join date : 2008-08-17
Location : ross-on-wye

Back to top Go down

Re: Miller Switch for Cruiser

Post  John Wakefield on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Should be OK in that case if just required to do a basic switching function for Headlight and pilot light, but why did the original have a resistance wire?

John Wakefield

Posts : 127
Join date : 2017-08-31

Back to top Go down

Ballast resistor

Post  piston 197 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:07 pm

Built in overload/overcharge, protection acts as a regulator and prevents excees charge particularly when switching between head and pilot positions
JH
piston 197
piston 197
Moderator

Posts : 4309
Join date : 2008-08-17
Location : ross-on-wye

Back to top Go down

Re: Miller Switch for Cruiser

Post  kerabo on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:14 pm

John Wakefield wrote:Should be OK in that case if just required to do a basic switching function for Headlight and pilot light, but why did the original have a resistance wire?

There are 2 small resistors. One on a charge light bulb and one is some sort of charge regulator.

Ken
kerabo
kerabo

Posts : 2645
Join date : 2008-02-11
Age : 68
Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Miller Switch for Cruiser

Post  davin999 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:51 pm


There are 2 small resistors. One on a charge light bulb and one is some sort of charge regulator.

Ken[/quote]

That`s the one i`m looking for Ken.

davin999

Posts : 56
Join date : 2018-06-09

Back to top Go down

Miller

Post  kerabo on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:06 pm

davin999 wrote:
There are 2 small resistors. One on a charge light bulb and one is some sort of charge regulator.

Ken

That`s the one i`m looking for Ken.[/quote]

Yes David but the switches are attached to the switch and not part if it. I guess a modern resistor could be used if you know the value.



kerabo
kerabo

Posts : 2645
Join date : 2008-02-11
Age : 68
Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: Miller Switch for Cruiser

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum