Latest topics
» One from every year
Today at 10:40 pm by kerabo

» Speedo drive - Rear wheel
Today at 5:32 pm by piston 197

» American thoughts of a British Bike Cruiser 39.
Today at 5:10 pm by John Wakefield

» NEW CLUB MEMBERS
Today at 10:40 am by piston 197

» Cruiser 39 gear change
Yesterday at 5:16 pm by kerabo

» Re-register Cruiser/Falcon
Yesterday at 1:08 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» Cruiser carb
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:51 pm by kerabo

» External coil mod
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am by bigpete

» Key switch for Villiers
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:32 pm by kerabo

Backwards?

Go down

Backwards?

Post  marcusrm on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:52 pm

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience. Back in the 60s I had an FB with a 175cc AMC engine.
Leaving college one lunchtime, I started the bike but the engine sounded different. It was running but very slow to pick up revs when I opened the throttle.

Tried to ride off but the engine stalled. I noticed it, and the guy sitting on the pillion instantly said "did the bike go backwards?".
It definitely did.

I restarted the engine, everything was normal.
Has anyone else had the experience of a two stroke motor accidentally starting up backwards?

I tried many times afterwards to get the engine to run backwards, but I never succeeded.

Marcus

marcusrm

Back to top Go down

running backward

Post  piston 197 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:22 pm

Yes several times, the timing has to be set very close to TDC, bike has to kick back or backfire on starting and engine will run either way.
Once when riding a DOT on the A40 to Gloucester i whiskered a plug and the bike began backfiring, I whipped the clutch in while riding and gave it a big handful of throttke to clear the backfiring, it cleared, just as it rolled to a slow stop i let out the clutch and immediately slid up the tank as it was going backwards.
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Happened to me in the '60s.

Post  Ted Snook on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:15 pm

While practicing in a Quarry that we used for Trials practice on my FB 250 Trials, the machine coughed while climbing out up the wall of the said Quarry while flat in second and went into reverse. In those days we had a good laugh over my throwing the machine - and myself, but we bounced in those days. I cured it by lowering the crankcase compression ratio, but it was a load of work, and not something that I would get involved in nowadays
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Re: Backwards?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down