» Plover 78 Front footrest
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 pm by Gyrocopter

» wheel bearings knock through spindle
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:52 pm by piston 197

Hot Starting Problem - that old chestnut

Go down

Hot Starting Problem - that old chestnut

Post  fulmar88 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:39 pm

Decided to take my lovely Falcon 81 for a run yesterday after 2 years sitting idle in the garage. Due to problems with hot starting in the past I fitted a remote coil and remote condenser a few years ago. She started easily, ran fine for 43 (fun) miles. When I got home I killed the engine then tried to re-start. No joy. It was about an hour later that I managed to get it running. The engine was bought from a club member 18 years ago who told me it had been rebuilt by Villiers Services and this looked to be the case with blasted casings, repainted barrel etc. Is the likely source of the trouble a flywheel in need of re-magnetisation bearing in mind the coil and condenser have already been re-sited?

I always keep the revs high when stopping at junctions etc but it would be nice to not have to worry about stalling especially as I can be 15 miles from home on my typical routes.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Hot starting

Post  piston 197 on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Steve in the first instance i would get the flywheeel re-magnetised, you can test how good it is, by placing it on a steel table and pulling it off with a spring balance, a fully magnetised  one will take approx 30Lbs to pull it off, they will still work ok at approx half of that, but as they get hot the magnetism becomes even lower .
Worth trying cold, then place in the oven and warm it up and try again.
As you are already using the remote coil system, it will not be your Low tension windings and you have done away with the HT windings, only other possibility would be crankcase seals, but  this is less likely, do you run a spark plug cap with a resistor/ supressor ? if so bin it, best on villiers to use just a plain rubber cap .
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Hot Starting Problem - that old chestnut

Post  John Wakefield on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:58 am

piston 197 wrote: you can test how good it is, by placing it on a steel table and pulling it off with a spring balance, a fully magnetised  one will take approx 30Lbs to pull it off

John is this a direct vertical pull or a sideways pull off the steel plate. That would make a difference as the flywheel itself would weigh around 10 lbs

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

flywheel

Post  piston 197 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:07 am

Vertical pull three bits of string and a spring balance
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  John Wakefield on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:28 am

Did a test on a spare 4T flywheel I have and initially got only around 20 lbs (flywheel weighs 6 lbs)
I then inserted the back plate with coils into flywheel and connected one of the ignition coils to a 12v battery charger which then energizes the pole pieces of the coil as an electro magnet. I moved the plate round to 3 positions, (thus covering all magnets) energizing the coils for a few seconds each time. On checking the magnetic pull again the 'pull off rate' had risen to 25 lbs. So looks like this could be a way of re-magnetising flywheel.

John Wakefield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down