Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 pm by Gyrocopter

» wheel bearings knock through spindle
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:52 pm by piston 197

Buckled flywheel

Go down

Buckled flywheel

Post  Dadzee on Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi folks
Its been a busy summer with little progress to the my Falcon model 58 rebuild. But I am now cracking on and reassembling the 8E engine after all bearing replacements and a rebore.
Unfortunately I seem to have a warped/ distorted brass flywheel (out by 2mm approx.). I have run a straight edge across it and turned it 180 degrees to deduce this. I am hoping damage is limited to the flywheel and not the crank
Can anyone advise if the flywheel can be fixed and if yes any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers Ed

Dadzee

Back to top Go down

Flywheel

Post  keith livingstone on Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi Ed.
I have a couple of bikes with the 8E engine. Presumably the runout you measured was measured with the flywheel on the crank.
It is possible the crank has had a knock maybe even by someone trying to remove the flywheel. A bit of runout is possible for a number of reasons
The key question is does the flywheel rotate without rubbing off the lighting and ignition coils? If it does the first thing to do it to loosen and tap/adjust the coils slightly to reduce rubbing. If the flywheel doesn't I would leave it alone and get out on the bike and see how it runs. 2 mm is unlikely to effect the vibration levels etc.

Best wishes
Keith
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Flyeheel

Post  kerabo on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:28 pm

That's a shame. Unless the engine has been bashed on its side it would be hard to distort the flywheel.

There are Several that come up on eBay but as said it could be the crank.

Could you borrow one to test it.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Flywheel run out

Post  piston 197 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:41 pm

Personally i would expect it to be more likely to be the crank, but easy to check, just whip the flywheel off and put a DTI ( Dial test indicator ) on the crank and check the run out.
From you original description ,i am assuming the 2mm run out is across the face of the flywheel ?? the more important run out will be any up and down movement, just wrap a piece of wire around the top of the oil dip stick and place the end against the flywheel with a marginal gap, rotate the flywheel and see how much the flywheel moves up and down, as the air gap between the coils and the magnets is only about 20 thou ( 1/2mm) you cannot afford much up and down movement.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Buckled flywheel

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down