» Re-register Cruiser/Falcon
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:06 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» Petrol tanks and spares
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:37 pm by piston 197

Plover won't start -:no spark

Go down

Plover won't start -:no spark

Post  Ted Jarvis on Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Can anyone help? I bought a Plover at auction as it has been restored and is in excellent condition. There are 3 wires from the back of the ignition switch and the blue one has been cut - off about half an inch from the switch. There is a brown wire hanging, coiled-up and a condenser not connected at all just in the bottom of the battery compartment.
There is no spark at the plug.
Thanks Ted

Ted Jarvis

Back to top Go down

Plover wont atart

Post  piston 197 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:47 pm

Which plover ?? all plovers post war, Villiers and AMC have self generating ignition, do not require a battery and are flywheel magneto with a plug lead direct to the spark plug, there is normally no ignition switch ? are you confused with a lighting switch ?
Unless of course you have a pre war Plover with coil ignition ??

You need to be a bit more precise with which model you have. Plovers started in  the 1930's and finished circa 1964 from model 40 to model 95, i cannot help unless i know what you have, if you do not know a frame number will help me identify it
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Plover won't start -:no spark

Post  Ted Jarvis on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Thanks JH it's my first posting and I now realise I should have been more specific.
It's a 1956 model and can't give more details at the moment as I'm away until Monday to look at the docs.
Ted

Ted Jarvis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Jarvis on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:58 pm

P.s.It has a key to what I assumed is the ignition switch

Ted Jarvis

Back to top Go down

1956 plover

Post  piston 197 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:07 pm

Ok if 1956 you have a Plover 78 with Villiers 30C engine, these do not normally have an ignition switch they are powered by a flywheel magneto, the plug lead comes directly from the front of the flywheel backplate joining the HT side of the ignition coil to the spark plug, there is one other wire coming from the ignition coil which runs direct to the points from the LT windings , you cannot normally see the condenser as it is underneath the points housing.
Any other wires coming out of the backplate shpould be for the lighting circuit, ( or lighting/charging circuit if it has rectified lighting)
If you have an ignition switch and a condenser visible i suggest someone has used their own mickey mouse wiring to power it from a battery.
If you are unsure you will need someone who knows what they are doing to have a look at it for you ? as it certainly sounds a non-standard set up ?
Normally the Villiers 30 c engine is not dependent on any external wiring to start the engine other than the plug lead. The only wiring to the points and condenser are internal inside the flywheel and do not amount to more than 2 pieces of wire of no more than a total of about 5 inches, a short run from the ignition LT to the points and an even shorter flying lead to the internal condenser housed beneath the points.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Key switch

Post  piston 197 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:09 pm

Ted Jarvis wrote:P.s.It has a key to what I assumed is the ignition switch

If it does, it is not an original fitment, there is normally either a 3 position switch marked O P H or a 4 position switch marked O P H DIRECT , in the headlight shell , neither of these has a key
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Jarvis on Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks very much JH - very comprehensive and gives me lots of things to check - out. As you say, I think it has a Micky Mouse wiring setup.
Cheers Ted

Ted Jarvis

Back to top Go down

1956 Plover won't start

Post  Ted Jarvis on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:24 pm

After the great advice from JH I've found that the new ignition switch fitted does work but the spark is very weak and there is a duff magnet inside the flywheel. Only one of the outer magnets is completely non-magnetic and could this cause a weak spark ? Does anyone know where I can get a replacement magnet and is it easy to fit by undoing the 2 screws which appear to hold each magnet in place ? Also, does anyone know what the psi on the compression should be, as measured at the spark plug ? Many thanks Ted Jarvis

Ted Jarvis

Back to top Go down

Flywheel

Post  piston 197 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:31 pm

It is possible one of the segments is non magnetic and not used ? but if the magnetism is weak on the flywheel it can be remagnetised to full health ( Villiers services 01384 265797)
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Jarvis on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi not sure how to test for weak magnetism and need to know what's causing the weak spark and for it not to start. Thanks

Ted Jarvis

Back to top Go down

testing magnetism

Post  piston 197 on Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Not sure with the AMC flywheel, but the villiers one placed on a steel table and connected to a spring balance will take approx 30LBS force to pull it off when fully magnetised
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down