Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 pm by zorteus

» Local meetings
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:54 pm by nick17

8e clutch problems

Go down

8e clutch problems

Post  bigpete on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Evening all,
Just had my friction plates recorked and fitted villiers services heavy springs but I'm still getting the problem of slip when starting and drag when stopping. Using oil as recommended on the clutch case filler plug and only filling to bottom chain run for lubrication. Short of a 9e conversion does any one have any ideas?, can the cork be replaced with ferodo or similar?  If so who would do it.
Thanks in advance
Pete
bigpete

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  kerabo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 pm

When you pull the clutch and kick the bike over does the outer plate turn true? Or does it wobble?  I recorked my own and it's fine. The only time I find they show a problem is when hot and being used a lot.
Try flatting them off on a sheet of production paper both corks and plates. Have you got the original levers so you have correct travel ?
What oil? Use ATF.
Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Fboc

Post  kerabo on Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Pete
Was it you us members visited earlier this year? Have a think about joining us for a ride out next June. Either at Loch Awe or Inverness.
Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

8E clutch slipping

Post  keith livingstone on Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi Pete

This is a strange one. I have several 6e/8e's and the normal problem was insufficient clearance causing overheating when holding in gear. Until last year that is, when on a rebuilt 8e I found it would slip very occasionally when kick starting or accelerating. I checked the adjustment, the corks, worn but good enough, oil etc. but couldn't find anything amiss. Then by chance I noticed the mushroom head of the pushrod was bottoming on the clutch centre and therefore not letting the plates /springs to exert full pressure on the corks. My corks / pushrods may have been worn but just something to check

Best wishes
Keith
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Re: 8e clutch problems

Post  bigpete on Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi all,
Thanks for the reply s. I've stripped the clutch and checked pressure and friction plates, both seem fine with the corks of equal thickness. The oil I used is ATF.
Clutch seems to be spinning true (engine not running) and levers are Doherty.when pulled there is def clearance. As said it's stronger springs and I've even tried spacers under four to give a bit more push! Keith the T shaped pusher seems to be returning all the way back so I don't think it's bottoming. I Ann suspicious by of the adjuster on the kick start side behind the inspection plate as even when I back it off free play doesn't change much.
It still slips when kicking but not every time. Is s it possibly something on the kick start side? It's an Albion 4 speed so if I remove the outer casing to have a look is there anything I should do or Know?
Thanks again.
Ken I'm in Fort William so it wasn't me that had the visit. Was it the run John Moffat organised as hopefully I'll be doing it next year on my Matchless and my mate will be using my db. (If I can get the clutch fixed.) Lol
bigpete

Back to top Go down

Post  bigpete on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:15 pm

Keith you are a genius! Stripped the clutch again and left out the pusher deliberately and hey presto no slip. Strpped it again and removed the washer from behind the clutch locking nut. All now seems good just need to check for drag tomorrow.
What concerns me now is how little clearance there is between the pusher and outer clutch plate making me wonder if I have the right pusher ???? Does any one have a drawing or size for it.
Thanks again for the ideas.
bigpete

Back to top Go down

8E clutch slipping

Post  keith livingstone on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi Pete,

Glad you've made progress
Never thought to ask you what box you were using but the one I had was an Albion 4 speed too!
I had been on the lookout for a 4 speed and it has taken about 2/3 years to get all the parts as it's more than just the box, clutch centre, casing etc. and of course I made the mistake of stripping it all down only to find there was a selection setting plate I should not have touched. Finally decided to fit the box this time last year and I was gutted when it would start slipping. I wonder are there some out of spec re-manufactured clutch push rods out there or maybe I didn't follow correct rebuild.
Great box once set up. So little lever movement required compared to Villier's 3 speed.

Best wishes
Keith
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  kerabo on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:06 am

Is there a ball bearing between the pushrods?
I have a feeling some do and done don't.
Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Ball bearing

Post  piston 197 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:24 am

There was not a ball bearing between the 2 rods normally, but it is a regular mod to prevent the drive of the clutch spinning the rod and wearing at the other end, also compensates for worn rods, it is a good idea, but not one Villiers used as STD
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down