Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:09 pm by kerabo

» Trials sprocket
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

AMC 17T gear selection issues

Go down

AMC 17T gear selection issues

Post  Cruiser79 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi all,
      So I've got going on the engine again after putting it aside through frustration for quite a while. I'm having a nightmare getting the box to work right. The gear change is difficult to use, can take alot of force to operate and there are false neutrals between all gears. I rebuilt the box with all new bearings, springs and seals, its spotless inside and nothing appears to be worn excessively. I'm positive that its all assembled correctly aswell. The thing just wont work right and has me totally baffled. I have another box which after a bit of coaxing moves through the gears beautifully but will need to come apart for a rebuild just to be on the safe side. Before I gut the troublesome box to recover the new bearings and rebuild the spare box is there something obvious which might cause the issues I'm describing? Thanks for any advice, Rob
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

17t gearbox

Post  john thomason on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:22 am

when you put the outer cover on it has to be in the position of first gear.as also the ratchet selector . difficulty can be with the inner spring in relation to the rocking pawl, you have to get it in the special shaped washer, put grease to hold.hold it gently when mounting and when offering the end cover to gearbox,will not need force. if you do not get this right you will end up with your problems

john thomason

Back to top Go down

Re: AMC 17T gear selection issues

Post  Cruiser79 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:11 pm

john thomason wrote:when you put the outer cover on it has to be in the position of first gear.as also the ratchet selector . difficulty can be with the inner spring in relation to the rocking  pawl, you have to get it in the special shaped washer, put grease to hold.hold it gently when mounting and when offering the end cover  to gearbox,will not need force. if you do not get this right you will end up with your problems

Thanks for the reply, had been trying it in 1st as the manual states but no joy. Even tried nuetral, 2nd and 3rd. Has me totally stumped, time for a new box
Cruiser79

Back to top Go down

Re: AMC 17T gear selection issues

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down