» Trials rear sprocket
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:12 pm by bigpete

» 1933 'Something?? Help!
Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:58 am by Johnyfalcon

Help:- With advice for bits foe Falcon 81

Go down

Help:- With advice for bits foe Falcon 81

Post  trophy on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello all. Brand new to your club and to your forum, am here to ask for your advice. I have never had a 2 stroke before, all my many years of biking has been on 4 strokes. Have just bought a 1958 Falcon 81 which has been stored in boxes since 1992. Am not restoring to as new but to get it on the road in a roadworthy condition. Where would you recommend I get engine spares from? Bearings, seals, gaskets etc. Do the club stock them or should I go to Villiers? Where might I find a front mudguard? Anyone got one lying around? Anyone know colours and paint codes for the model/year? The cylinder has been bored to +0.040" and is in good condition but the rings have huge gaps, surely this is not correct. I will have to true the brake drums-does anyone know where I can get the shoes fitted with oversized linings. I'm sure as I get further into the re-build there will be more questions. Look forward to your replies. Ride safe all. Lol Williams.

trophy

Back to top Go down

parts for 81

Post  piston 197 on Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:43 am

Villiers services will supply all of the engine parts you need,they will also re-line brake shoes, but i believe they only supply standard width linings, for oversized brake linings i have used classic brake services in Whaley bridge, not sure if they are still active? but i supplied shoes and drum diameter and they did the rest.
There are 2 different front guards used on the 81, the earlier 1958 models used the peaked/valanced guard as fitted to the falcon 74,cruiser 75 , the later 1959 ones used the plain sided guard as fitted to the 79 light cruiser and cruiser 80/89
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Help:- With advice for bits foe Falcon 81

Post  trophy on Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 pm

Thanks pa197. Your info much appreciated. Have phoned Villiers with my engine bits order and will check out classic brake services. I was worried that my piston rings (+0.040") are not stepped but square edged with what I regard as a VERY BIG gap. Looking at the pins in the piston they fill the ring land and would not allow stepped gapped rings to be fitted. Villiers advised this is normal and a ring gap of 0.100" is usual. Does this seem OK?

trophy

Back to top Go down

ring gap

Post  piston 197 on Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Villiers pistons come in several different ring types
The original pistons have 3/32" rings with a peg half the width of the groove, the rings are relieved for half of the height and lap under the pins, these will have a ring gap of about .010"

There is a type where the pin is vertically from the top of the piston and is half the depth of the groove and the rings lap over the pin with a cut out in rear inner edge, these will have a ring end gap of approx '010"

The third type have  1/16" or sometimes 1.5mm rings that are pegged with a pin which is flush with the outer edge of the piston and the rings are square ended and do not lap under or over the pin, these will have a ring gap of the pin diameter plus +.010" i.e if the pin diameter is .040" i would expect a ring gap of .050" ( it sounds like you have this type?)

I would  not expect to see a ring gap of .100" on any villiers rings when fitted into the bore ???
piston 197

Back to top Go down

ring gap

Post  trophy on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:54 pm

Your third type is what I have. My rings are 1/16 with gaps of 0.091 and 0.094 so I will have to find new rings to suit my +0.040 bore. When I was talking to Villiers they were not certain they had any stock that size.
My front wheel rim is reasonable and has the centre painted green with gold lining to each side. I don't know if this is correct and will have to contact Mike Daykin to see if he can provide any catalogues or other info to check. The spokes are painted but rusting so will need replacing. The rear wheel is only fit for scrap,as is the sprocket. I have successfully used Central Wheel previously for rims/spokes. Any recommendations as to what tyres would suit this model?

trophy

Back to top Go down

piston rings

Post  piston 197 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:49 am

Rings are not a problem for you, you can use BSA C15 67mm rings same as 66mm +040, you would just need to file the ends off to the peg diameter + .010", I have plenty of them if you need any ?

Painted centre of the rims with gold lining was an option

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

piston rings

Post  trophy on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 am

Many thanks for that info piston 197. I have pm'd you.

trophy

Back to top Go down

Re: Help:- With advice for bits foe Falcon 81

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum