» Cruiser Tool kit
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 pm by kerabo

» VILLIERS 1H
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:53 pm by piston 197

Villiers 2T/3T alloy barrels

Go down

Villiers 2T/3T alloy barrels

Post  Druid on Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:01 pm

Back in Spring 2009 an article "Tales of my Barnett, The all-aluminium 3T" by Jeff Venning appeared in the Directory. In the article Jeff described his project to develop and manufacture aluminium cylinder barrels with Nametab Engineering. Using the new barrels together with a new manifold and an Amal carburettor appears to have had impressive improvements in the performance of the engine and also a address the inherent problem of 2T/3T engines overheating. Jeff said the Barnett felt more like an RD than a British classic!
After all that effort it seems a shame that more of us cannot benefit from the improvements promised by Jeff and Nametab engineering's development of the Villiers twin.
I have spoken to Simon at Nametab and he said it would be possible to produce a batch of barrels but to be keep the cost down to a "reasonable" level (approx £500 per pair) he would need to manufacture 5 pairs.
Anyone out there interested? Note that a deposit would be required.

Regards Dave

PS Does anyone know what happened to Jeff's Aluminium 3T Barnett?

Druid

Back to top Go down

Re: Villiers 2T/3T alloy barrels

Post  stuart elkes on Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 pm

I am very interested in 2t barrels I understand 3t's do not go as well as 2 or 4 t's £500 sounds expensive but I suppose there's a lot of work involved unless Simon still has the mounds. Would that price include the alloy manifold for an Amal carburettor although I don't see the advantage of an Amal over a Villiers after all a Villiers is a concentric carburettor. I have tried to trace the original barrels without success. I don't know where the overheating myth comes from my 2t and 4t are both ridden hard with no signs of overheating. Stuart Elkes

stuart elkes

Back to top Go down

Post  Druid on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:08 am

Hi Stuart
Thanks for your interest. The manifold was not discussed with Simon, I was intending to use the Villiers carburettor, initially, so that I could retain the standard cover/air filter. From Jeff's article it did sound like his Villiers carb had excessive slide/bore wear. Regards Dave.

Druid

Back to top Go down

alloy manifold

Post  piston 197 on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:00 am

I do have a Villiers alloy manifold complete with a 30mm AMAL concentric carburettor, it is down draught, but means you cannot use the carburettor dome/filter on the 2T engine.
It came with a tuned 2T engined bike i had many years ago built as a sprinter in a FB Falcon 87 frame with Yamaha RD expansion chambers, it was a non runner when i got it, so was broken for spares
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:08 pm

Dear David,

I would be interested in a pair for my Cruiser 2t special if you decide to go ahead. Please let me know.

Regards

Peter

peter@dunfordconstruction

http://peter@dunfordconstruction.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Druid on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:14 pm

Thanks Peter, I will keep you updated.

Regards
Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Update

Post  Druid on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:51 pm

Hi Stuart and Peter,
I have spoken with Simon at Nametab Engineering and told him that, to date, we have three people interested in his 2T/3Talloy barrels. He is OK to proceed to the next step of costing based on a batch of five pairs. He is to speak with his casting supply foundry so that he can advise regarding firm pricing.

Regards
Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi Dave,

THats good look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Peter

peter@dunfordconstruction

http://peter@dunfordconstruction.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Alloy barrels

Post  kerabo on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:45 am

They will look nice but can I ask what you hope to gain? Does the 2T run hot?

I had a 3T engine and the carb and mainifolds is very small. I suspect that would hold back the power a little.

I still think like most Villiers engines to get the best performance they need an ignition system with an advance like the †Eletrex . I know VS were developing such a system for the 2T but not sure how far they got with it.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Running cooler

Post  piston 197 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:55 am

The 2T always had a reputation for running hot, hence the development of the 4T which ducted air to the back of the cylinder to prevent the overheating, alloy barrels will be lighter, will run cooler and if plated bore can run closer piston tolerances.
They are always going to be advantageous over the original iron barrels
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Aluminium barrel benefits

Post  Druid on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:49 pm

In his article about the prototype alloy barrels in the Spring 2009 Directory, Jeff Venning described the improvements he had found in the performance of his modified 3T FB. If would be best to read Jeff's article for a first hand description of the tangible benefits he experienced using the new barrels.
Although the use of plated bores was considered, the Nametab barrels use traditional steel-lined barrels for robustness and the flexibility to have different bore sizes i.e. 250, 300, 325cc. Villiers, aware of the overheating problems, set the standard bore clearance to 8 thou. Given the expected benefits of alloy barrels this was reduced to 4 thou on the 3T prototypes.

From my observations of used 2T cylinder heads many appear to have been subjected to combustion chamber "shrapnel" damage probably due to seizures. My own Cruiser 89 appears to have suffered from such a failure at some point resulting, not just in damaged head/bore, but also a cracked crank case! Hence my interest in the alloy barrels (and electronic ignition).

Regards
Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down