Latest topics
» oil seals for 250cc amc engine
Yesterday at 3:38 pm by Cruiser79

» Francis barnett light cruiser 79 1958 (compression)
Yesterday at 2:09 pm by FBKev

» For sale in Kent
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:19 am by FBKev

» Falcon 70 For Sale
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:09 pm by Cyclethread

» Oil and Fuel mix
Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:03 am by piston 197

» Original paint colour
Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:17 pm by dan176

» Mystery of the seals - AMC150
Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:19 am by FBKev

» All events
Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 pm by bessybarnett

» Copdock Show
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:01 pm by kerabo

Falcon 81 ignition questions

Go down

Falcon 81 ignition questions

Post  FBKev on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:43 pm

Right I have done a bit of research on here, initially it appears that a wire has been added to the points I assume the HT part of the coil has been removed and the points connected to the remaining LT part

And the to an AC coil in the battery/toolbox

The red wire coil+ (battery connection?) if running a battery? which connection on the coil would the Lt/points wire go to? and that should then run without a battery yes or no
This is what is wired to the leads from the flywheel cover in the left hand side of the toolbox. Once I can get a spark I will try to sort out the rest of the wiring and get rid of the nasty crimp connectors. I did get this bike as a non runner. The main question is does this lot look workable?
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

ignition

Post  piston 197 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm

This appears to be a battery powered DC system which will only work as long as the battery is charged and is dependent on having a good charging system and battery, to run the ignition without a battery you will an AC 6 volt coil and the only wiring will be the one to the points and an earth wire to the frame ( or to a switch and earth if you wish ?)

The system as it is looks to be ok ? as long as you have a battery in situ and it is charged and as long as the charging system will keep up it shpould be ok, if the charging system is not working, then when the battery goes flat you will have no sparks

JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Ignition questions

Post  FBKev on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:46 pm

Thank you JH. if I read you correctly If no battery fitted wire from points to LT + on AC coil, and a wire via if req'd from AC coil LT - to earth. A bit like the emergency system on the Wipac bantam electrics, well on the D7 I had in the late seventies (no battery ever fitted) And with a battery fitted + from battery to AC coil + and LT from points to AC coil LT +. AC coil LT - to earth via swicth if required?
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Nearly

Post  piston 197 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Nearly, AC coil for batteryless, self generating ignition to allow for the alternating current generated by the magnets and coils, but for charging system and battery ignition it will need to be a DC coil as there will be smoothed DC current ater passing through the rectifier.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Ignition system

Post  FBKev on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:53 pm

I have a 6v Motobatt battery I will try it over the weekend Just wanted to clear up where the points wire goes to the AC coil. As you must have guessed buy now electrics are a bit of a black art to me.
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 81 ignition questions

Post  FBKev on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:57 pm

piston 197 wrote:Nearly, AC coil for batteryless, self generating ignition to allow for the alternating current generated by the magnets and coils, but for charging system and battery ignition it will need to be a DC coil as there will be smoothed DC current ater passing through the rectifier.
JH
Thank again JH so will try with a battery in the system. When and if I get it running what voltage would I be looking at engine running (no lights) to prove it is charging OK.
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Stupid question

Post  FBKev on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:00 pm

How can I tell if the fitted coil is a DC one?
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

coil

Post  piston 197 on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:23 pm

It should be marked, but looking at it i would say it is an DC battery coil certainly looking at the rest of the wiring and will require a battery ?
6Volt AC coils are readily avauilable as they are used on mopeds, FS1E, honda 50s Vespas etc and usually are single wire and earthed through the mounting
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  FBKev on Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks again JH, great advice will try to get to it to have a go this weekend. Then I will give you a call about registering again. I have no other info so doubt that the original can be recovered.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Success

Post  FBKev on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:45 pm

piston 197 wrote:This appears to be a battery powered DC system which will only work as long as the battery is charged and is dependent on having a good charging system and battery, to run the ignition without a battery you will an AC 6 volt coil and the only wiring will be the one to the points and an earth wire to the frame ( or to a switch and earth if you wish ?)

The system as it is looks to be ok ? as long as you have a battery in situ and it is charged and as long as the charging system will keep up it shpould be ok, if the charging system is not working, then when the battery goes flat you will have no sparks

JH
Thanks again for your help, with a quick jury rig as follows. Wire from points to coil negative terminal. Wire from battery positive to coil positive terminal. battery negative to frame earth. New HT lead/cap and Roberts your Mothers Brother a nice healthy spark. now to tidy everything up a bit.
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum