» head bolts 8e
Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:55 pm by alan67

» Copdock and Scotland
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:21 am by alan67

New Member with a Falcon

Go down

New Member with a Falcon

Post  FBKev on Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Hello I have just joined both the club and the forum. I have just acquired a 1959 James captain and a Non runner FB falcon 81 going by web research also 1959 (AN frame prefix, 662b engine number) I also have a 1971 Norton Commando fastback and 2003 Hinckley tiger. I will be looking for some info as the Falcon appears to have a bridge rectifier wired in to the lighting coil and a Wipac/Lucas 6V ignition coil in the tool box. I need to connect the LT from the points and get some HT lead to see if I have a spark (I assume as the coil comes from the lighting coil I will need to select direct on the headlight switch to get a spark).
Kev.
FBKev

Back to top Go down

coil conversion

Post  piston 197 on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:50 pm

The ignition coil as fitted in the 10E Villiers engine has both Low tension and HT windings, the LT side is connected to the points and the HT is connected to the Spark plug. Any failure is notmally in the HT side, the way round this is to either replace the coil completely with a new one, or by- pass the HT side and fit a remote AC coil wired into the pouint s lead to still give batteryless ignition with a remote coil. If the Wipac coil you have currently is reliant on the battery, it will be a DC coil and will function OK as long as the charging system is good, but a lot of night time riding will find it wanting.#
Electronic ignitions are available for this engine from Villiers services.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: New Member with a Falcon

Post  FBKev on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:47 am

piston 197 wrote:The ignition coil as fitted in the 10E Villiers engine has both Low tension and HT windings, the LT side is connected to the points and the HT is connected to the Spark plug.  Any failure is notmally in the HT side, the way round this is to either replace the coil completely with a new one, or by- pass the HT side and fit a remote AC coil wired into the pouint s lead to still give batteryless ignition with a remote coil. If the Wipac coil you have currently is reliant on the battery, it will be a DC coil and will function OK as long as the charging system is good, but a lot of night time riding will find it wanting.#
Electronic ignitions are available for this engine from Villiers services.
JH
you are right on the money it appears to be an AC coil with the LT coming off the points, I got this bike as a non runner, I believe that the AC coil mod was used in the trials world to (as you say) run batteryless I need to find some HT lead and connect it all up and see if I have a spark? There is no battery fitted, Could well be that the original coil is dead. All I need is the time to investigate. Thanks for the reply and information.
Kev
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Romney Marsh Classic Motocycle show Hamstreet Kent

Post  FBKev on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm

Are there any members going this weekend 24/6 ? I remember some Barnetts there last year.
My other half makes glass jewellery and has a stand there, I will either be on the Norton, or the James. If my son is available the James will be entered in the show. The Falcon is A/W registration and a couple of bits.
Kev
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Post  FBKev on Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:45 pm

Pics of my bikes
FBKev

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down