» 2 7/8" tank badges
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm by FrankG

» Cruiser Tool kit
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:34 pm by kerabo

Cruiser Exhaust Pipe & Baffle

Go down

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:32 pm

Please does anyone have the detail drawings or a photo of the Downpipe & Baffle for the cruiser /Falcon models?

Peter

peter@dunfordconstruction

http://peter@dunfordconstruction.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  MoscowFlyer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 am

Hi Peter, I have an exhaust piper hanging in my shed, it's one JH had made many years ago, I don't know how accurate it is but I can take a photo for you. Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Re: Cruiser Exhaust Pipe & Baffle

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:27 am

Hi Mike,

Thank you please could you? My e-mail is peter@dunfordconstruction.co.uk

Kind regards

Peter

Back to top Go down

Cruiser & falcon exhaust pipe & baffle

Post  mike Sayer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Peter, specifically what model Cruiser/ Falcon do you want the pipe & baffle for? Unlike Moscow Flyer I haven`t got a piper in my garage (it must be nice however to wake up each morning to the skirl o` the pipes), but I have got an exhaust pipe & baffle for a Cruiser 84 which I would be happy to photograph and give dimensions if it would be any help. (humble apologies to Mike for the mickey take).
Mike Sayer.
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Well Mike a picture of your bagpipes will do nicely thank you! I believe the 84 ones are the same concept as the cruiser 75 80 ones.

I know its a nuisance but can you mark on with chalk the baffle positions inside the pipe? Many thanks

Regards

Peter

Back to top Go down

Piper Hanging in My Shed

Post  MoscowFlyer on Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi Mike, these typos can be funny sometimes, I'm doing more of them as I get older, the thought of a piper hanging in my shed! not sure the neighbours would approve. Laughing Mike
MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Cruiser & falcon exhaust pipe & baffle

Post  mike Sayer on Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:35 pm

Peter, I`ve taken some pictures & will send them to you by email in a mo.
There is only one baffle inside the perforated section of the exhaust,
& as you requested, I have marked its position with chalk. This baffle effectively blocks off the tube although the gases can obviously escape via the series of 3/4" dia. holes in the rolled tube.
The chromed part is 1 3/4" O/D tube & the perforated part is 1 5/8 O/D (although it has been rolled into a tube from flat M/S sheet about 18 or 20 SWG, tack welded at intervals along the seam. The tubes are welded together ,the rolled tube fitting inside the chromed tube with the round cross section maintained by careful welding in order for the small formed ring (referred to in the next paragraph) to slide along the rolled tube until it comes to a stop, butting up against the end of the chromed tube (the ring must be put on the correct way round as the silencer will need to have a gas tight seal at this point)
The small, detachable formed ring in the pictures slides onto the rolled ,perforated tube up to where the larger diameter chromed tube ends and will go no further in view of the fact its inner diameter is only a fraction over that of the rolled tube, so it butts up to the chromed tube & when the silencer is slid on to complete the exhaust assembly (not forgetting the finned exhaust nut), the protruding 1/4" stud at the end of the rolled tube locates in the tail pipe at the extreme end of the silencer & when secured with washer & nut & tightened, this pulls the silencer up to the formed ring & with suitable sealing washer(s) & exhaust sealing compound in place, this gives a gas tight exhaust assembly (hopefully)
I would point out that I am referring to the Cruiser 84 system only, I have no experience of any other model. As I mentioned, pictures being sent by email.
Regards, Mike Sayer.
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Post  peter@dunfordconstruction on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:42 am

Hi Mike,

Perfectly understood & thank you for your kind help.
In the meantime I have been reading Arthur Gents book and on page 104 he refers to the exhaust pipes etc used since 1938 ish right through to the curtains coming down in the sixties He says although the bikes & silencers were different the basic design of the pipe remained. I also found in the spring issue 2012 of the club magazine.

I will attempt to send it to you.

Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down