» Dating certificate
Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:53 pm by FBOVS429

» Cruiser 39 Dynamo
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 pm by kerabo

AMC 150 coil wiring problem

Go down

Post  speedtwinbri on Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm

I have a 1960 Plover 86 with the AMC 150 engine. the problem I have is the orange wire from the lighting coils has become detached and I can't see where on the coils to re-attach it. My copy of the wiring diagram in the BMS manual is not very clear. Can any one help or has anyone got a clearer wiring diagram? Thanks in advance.
Brian.
speedtwinbri

Back to top Go down

AMC 150 wiring

Post  keith livingstone on Wed May 30, 2018 11:21 pm

Hello Brian 
I'm trying to get one of these AMC 150 engined Plovers back on the road too.  
Like yours my wiring diagram is not the clearest! Looking at the coils and the diagram   I hope I can be of some help.  Each of the 2 lighting coils has 4 wire connections. They are linked in series via a red wire and a yellow wire which go between both coils.  The coil that has a wire to earth has also has a white wire connected to the loom.  The other coil in addition to the red and yellow links has a red wire and an orange wire going to the loom. 

What is the state of your wiring? 
Do you have any wires between the coils / any wired going to the loom? 
I can try to take a picture if needed 

Best wishes 
Keith
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Post  speedtwinbri on Thu May 31, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Keith, thanks for your reply. I can't remember which way the coils are wired and I won't be able to get to the bike until Saturday. The rest of the wiring appears to be ok. I have had the engine running after I bought a new ignition coil from Villers Services and it runs fine. Unfortunately the orange wire running through the loom into the coils got pulled out and I'm not sure where it should be attached to. I think it may be an earth as it has a bullet connector on the other end which looks as if it should connect to the orange lead coming from the rectifier under the seat. I wonder if it would be ok to solder it to the coil mounting plate or should it be soldered to a lighting coil. If you could get a photo of your set up that would be great.
Cheers, Brian.
speedtwinbri

Back to top Go down

AMC 150 wiring

Post  keith livingstone on Thu May 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi Brian
You're ahead of me on this one as I have yet to get my bike running.  
Mine's a model 95 and in a very sorry mess it was.  It had been botched up with a Honda H100 engine shoehorned in along with brake lever and rear wheel mainly I gues to sell the original registration.  Finally at the end of last summer I was hoping to get it on the road but it wouldn't start.  Spark seemed OK out of cylinder but it wouldn't fire up not even so much as splutter.  I've too got a new coil from Villiers services and hopefully I'll have it running over the summer.

Back to your coil. I don't believe your orange is an earth.  The way I described things last night may be confusing.  thinking about it again and looking at the wiring diagram each lighting coil is actually 2 coils wound together but all lighting coils are linked and you should follow the wire from coil to coil.  I've attached pictures too

As you will see a coil lead is earthed.  The circuit continues through the first coil and comes out as a red wire.  This red wire links to a coil on the other pole which comes though as a dark red wire one of the 3 in the loom.  

Looking at the other 2 wires on the room.  Go to the white. This goes to a coil and continues through the coil coming out as a yellow wire. The yellow  wires goes to a coil on the other pole and though the coil coming out the other end as the orange wire.

Hope you can follow this 
Best wishes
Keith
keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

AMC 150 wiring

Post  keith livingstone on Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 pm

keith livingstone

Back to top Go down

Post  speedtwinbri on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Keith, thanks for taking the trouble to post the photos. I've printed them off and when I get to the bike tomorrow I'll see if I can use them to sort out the problems. I'll get back to and let you know what the outcome is.
Cheers, Brian.
speedtwinbri

Back to top Go down

Re: AMC 150 coil wiring problem

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down