» 1936 Cruiser 45 Head Gasket
Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:51 pm by 1953Man

» 3T Engine for sale.
Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:24 am by Kevin B Smith

Removing rust from tank

Go down

Removing rust from tank

Post  bessybarnett on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Can anyone help me please. My Kestrel tank has a lot of rust inside. I would like to remove it safely. A friend has suggested caustic soda as per the classic bike website. However it looks a bit nasty and could take the paint of my lovely tank, skin off my hands, and there is a good chance I could pass out with the fumes! Years ago I used counted pieces of gravel, giving it a good shake, but after exhausting myself there was hardly any difference! Nuts and bolts could cause dents!

As you can see I need some help please.

Pete

P.S. I know someone has recently mentioned this subject on here, but I canít find it!

Just a thought - what about white vinegar for 24 hours?

Last edited by bessybarnett on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Addition)
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Removing rust from tank

Post  seipgam on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:26 am

Have you heard of using Molasses?
About 1/4 Molasses 3/4 water and fill your tank. May take 2 or 3 weeks to get a decent result.
Give it a shake every couple of days, and check after a week to see how it's going.

The Molasses eats the rust but won't hurt the metal, non caustic, safe on your hands and won't hurt the paintwork on the outside of your tank.

I've used it on metal items but not a tank, works well. Have read about it being used on a tank and can't see why not.
Maybe others might have used the process??

Look on Youtube to see "how to" videos.

Just had a look at the Vinegar process on Youtube. †Also looks effective, and quicker.

Cheers, Geoff.

Last edited by seipgam on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:10 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error)
seipgam

Back to top Go down

Re: Removing rust from tank

Post  bessybarnett on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:25 am

Thanks Geoff for your reply. I will give it a thought.

I have finally got my 1955 Kestrel 66 back together again after a few years of work on it, thereís always something else that needs doing! - and so far it seems to be running quite well. The cleaning of the tank is the final stage!

Thanks for your help.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Tank

Post  kerabo on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:04 pm

On the site for my other bike Sunbeam someone wired his tank across the webbing inside of a cement mixer. Tipped in some parrifin and nuts and bolts. And left it running.
He said it was perfect inside after.
Need good strong wire I think.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87. Trials 93 Special. Powerbike 56. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

removing rust from tank

Post  alan67 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi Pete white vinegar works well, i used it on my triumph tank about 50% vinegar 50% water leave about 4-5 days with a little shake now and then,as your tank has already been sprayed you may not want to strap it inside a cement mixer but i think that is a brilliant idea , half fill tank with pee shingle, strap into mixer, leave running in garden all night, don't worry about neighbour's it will be fine once they get used to that therapeutic sound,well i hope they do as the falcon tank is heading for the mixer Laughing Alan
alan67

Back to top Go down

Post  bessybarnett on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi, thanks for suggestions Ken and Alan.
I look the plunge and used caustic soda to clean the tank today. All went well, I didnít pass out and the paint is stlii on the tank (covered it in grease and then clingfilm) - bit messy! Had a lot of rust come out, but could do with doing again, perhaps this time with white vinegar for three or four days. Will let you know how that goes, maybe after the Staffs Show. Kestrel is due to be on FB stand with others.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Tank rust

Post  dalgrae on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:35 pm

I have had success in the past with full fat Coka Cola not the diet type and left for a few days Coke seems to work better than cheaper cola brands .

Regards. Colin

dalgrae

Back to top Go down

Post  bill2b on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:26 pm

Fuel tank rust removal
Good article, especially if you want to sort your rusty tank in the nude Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Click on the Fuel tank rust removal text, its a link.
bill2b

Back to top Go down

Post  bessybarnett on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:09 pm

Yes Bill, thatís the article I got my information from, interesting reading, but it does make you nervous about the thought of using caustic soda. I was ultra careful, using rubber gloves, mask, goggles and wore old clothes, and there was not a drop spilt or inhaled fortunately. You just need to be sensible, methodical and take your time.

Pete
bessybarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum