Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:53 pm by FBOVS429

» Cruiser 39 Dynamo
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 pm by kerabo

Eelectrex World ignition Lighting Coil

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LIGHTING

Post  john87 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 pm

No, if you earth one end of the coil you will only ever have half wave rectification. but like you say, if you just wanted AC it would make no difference. If you just had the AC though, without a battery in circuit anywhere, i suppose there would be huge voltage changes with engine speed.

I know on my falcon there is the "direct" lighting position, BUT the battery is still in circuit even then [just not connected to the lights] to keep a check on the voltage.

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

Lighting coil output

Post  Druid on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:05 pm

If the output rating of the coil is 55 Watts a.c. then, if this is full wave rectified, the d.c. output cannot be more than the coil rating, in fact at full load it will be about 4 Watts less due to losses in the rectifier diodes. The coil output could be connected to a rectifier/regulator and earthed on the d.c. side to give a voltage controlled output that would/should not overcharge the battery.

Regards
Dave.

Druid

Back to top Go down

Re: Eelectrex World ignition Lighting Coil

Post  Andrewwoey on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 pm

Glad you have the information that you require. If your lights are still dim then run some earth's up to the lights. Done this a few times over the years and helps greatly.

Andrewwoey

Back to top Go down

lights

Post  john87 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

Hi Druid,
I was thinking to not earth the one end of the coil in the magneto, but bring BOTH ends out, then to a rectifier to give you the full wave rectification, and THEN and only then earthing them as you say.

I presume that if you mounted the coils diagonally opposite to each other [i have no idea if this is possible, having never seen the backplate they are mounted on] that, they would be in phase, and, if you brought all four ends out, you could parallel them and end up with 110W..

john..

john87

Back to top Go down

lighting coils

Post  Druid on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi John,

I agree with you that earthing the a.c. side of the lighting circuit limits you to 1/2 wave rectification (unless you fitted an isolation transformer). It is possible to remove the earth connections from the lighting coils on original Villiers backplates and bring out a third wire but this requires extra backplate wiring and a third output socket on the side casing.

I would be interested to know if people who have had their flywheels magnets "refreshed" have found a noticeable improvement in alternator output.

Regards
Dave

Druid

Back to top Go down

Re: Eelectrex World ignition Lighting Coil

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2