» Re-register Cruiser/Falcon
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:06 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» Petrol tanks and spares
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:37 pm by piston 197

handle bar light switch

Go down

handle bar light switch

Post  banjo boy on Fri May 15, 2015 7:43 pm

Hello I am wondering if my handle bar light dip switch/horn switch can stop battery charging.
The problem is that when I went for a short ride the bike cut out and every thing went dead but after 10 mins things seemed to be working again, I noticed that when lights are on they brighten when revs increased which seems normal but when I straighten up the handle bars they don't seem to brighten when I flick the dip switch it seems to correct it self and brighten but soon as I flick dip switch the lights dim again as if a short sorry if this does not make much sense not good at explaining something I have very little knowledge of.
thanks in advance
Lol
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Wipac ducon switch

Post  FB vincent on Sat May 16, 2015 7:51 am

banjo boy wrote:Hello I am wondering if my handle bar light dip switch/horn switch can stop battery charging.
The problem is that when I went for a short ride the bike cut out and every thing went dead but after 10 mins things seemed to be working again, I noticed that when lights are on they brighten when revs increased which seems normal but when I straighten up the handle bars they don't seem to brighten when I flick the dip switch it seems to correct it self and brighten but soon as I flick dip switch the lights dim again as if a short sorry if this does not make much sense not good at explaining something I have very little knowledge of.
thanks in advance
Lol

I guess you are referring to the Wipac Ducon switch, or a modern pattern equivalent.

The wires and contacts inside the switch are perilously close to the (earthed) handlebars, but if you were getting a complete short you would probably melt the wiring (unless you have a fuse fitted in the circuit). It is possible that the switch contacts are powering both filiaments of the headlamp bulb, although I would not expect this to result in the engine cutting out since the alternator will normally be able to cope with this sort of discharge. Check all the wiring to the switch - they are held in with screwed terminals. When you turn the handlebars the wiring loom is being stretched, which probably results in the incorrect contacts being made. Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Re: handle bar light switch

Post  banjo boy on Sat May 16, 2015 5:26 pm

Hello Sandy
Thanks for your reply,yes it is the Wipac Ducon switch, today I have checked all connections
and also checked the ignition switch side every thing seems to be ok,took the bike for a short run it again run ok but the amp meter was just slight to the left of centre bike cut out so pulled to side of road turned the switch the other way it started got home as I was only 2 mile away and the bike run good and also the amp meter was charging to the right.As I new to the world of Francis Barnetts I am thinking it might be operator error on my behalf,question on the the ignition switch which as I-E,when turning the ignition to ON do you turn switch CW or CCW I know this seem a dumb question thanks.

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Wipac ignition switch

Post  FB vincent on Sat May 16, 2015 5:49 pm

The right hand headlamp switch on the Wipac alternator system is for the ignition. When turned to the RIGHT (I) sufficient generator coils are switched in to more than balance the demand by the ignition coil. When turned to the LEFT (E) all generator coils are switched in circuit, this position is used if the battery is discharged and should enable the engine to be started.

It is possible that one or more of your alternator coils are defective if there is not enough charge when in the (I) position. When the headlamp is switched on once again all coils are in circuit, and the ammeter should again show a good charge.

The Wipac alternator system is generally reliable and provides a good output, but does suffer from a complicated wiring system and the switches and the plugs that connect them to the wiring loom can be a problem - make sure the plugs are fully pushed home into the switch. Sometimes it helps if the brass strips in the sockets are slightly bent inwards, since this increases the chances of proper connectivity.

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo boy on Sat May 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Thanks Sandy for clearing up the matter of ignition switch,I have been using switch correctly,I will have a look at the connections on the switch and bend the tabs,if that fails will have to check out the coils.thanks again for your help with this apart from this the bike runs well and I am enjoying it.

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

conclusion

Post  banjo boy on Sun May 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Today I thought I would sort this problem with charging.I checked the put and more than happy,I swapped over the sockets from IGN to the light still the same not charging cleaned all terminals swapped back,I started bike so while running moved handle bars to check pulling of wires seemed ok switched on lights and the amp meter was neg but soon as I flick dip switch it started charging just to the right, moved dip switch back stops charging,I then turned off lights and it still was not charging as soon as I touched the dip switch starts charging.so I am thinking it must be either the handle bar switch or the light switch I have also checked that the socket are snug in switch.Is it worth me getting a new handle bar switch or any thing else I like this bike and went for a test ride noticed amp was in neg fiddled with switch and it moved to the centre.thanks for reading any suggestions welcome.

Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Wipac alternator

Post  FB vincent on Wed May 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I hope you are making some sense of the Wipac system. This does not directly answer your questions, but the standard Wipac trouble shooting tips might help. Attached below if you have not got a copy (but Tinypic is giving me stress, so please PM me with your email address if you want a proper copy)!

Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Post  banjo boy on Wed May 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Thanks Sandy for your very helpful information much appreciated I will have a read,today a new ducon switch arrived so will put on at week end and check out the tests and will update here when I hopefully have it sorted.
kind regards
Laurence
banjo boy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down