Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:53 pm by FBOVS429

» Cruiser 39 Dynamo
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 pm by kerabo

1955 Cruiser 71 carburettor settings

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1955 Cruiser 71 carburettor settings

Post  nexsuperne on Sun May 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Hello. I have joined to try and help my elderly neighbour. He has a 1955 Cruiser 71 in lovely condition, which he has just had rewired. It sparks well, but will not fire. He has taken the carb apart, as one of the needles was bent? The spark plug was dry, so no fuel getting to the piston. I don't know very much about the bike at all, but he tells me that there is a needle which needs to be set up (I think for the idle). Would anyone know what carb this has, or indeed what measurement is needed for the needle. Is there a guide I can print off?

Many thanks for any help, as we are truly stuck Smile

Thanks,
Myk

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

Re: 1955 Cruiser 71 carburettor settings

Post  Kim on Sun May 03, 2015 10:35 pm

I believe that the Cruiser 71 uses the 1H engine. Here are the spec's/data for that engine anyway. (from the Francis Barnett 225 cruiser Instruction book)

You will need to save them to your computer to be able to see the entire page. If I made them smaller they would be too hard to see in the web page, Let me know if you have a problem and I will email them to you.

Regards
Kim
Kim

Back to top Go down

1955 cruiser 71 carburetter settings

Post  Cruiser Ron on Mon May 04, 2015 4:26 pm

It sounds as though no fuel is reaching the cylinder, you might start your investigations at the fuel tank end and work from there.

Cruiser Ron

Location : essex, Honda 250 francis barnett falcon 87 honda 400/4

http://ronbrown40@tiscali.co..uk

Back to top Go down

spark plug dry

Post  piston 197 on Mon May 04, 2015 4:52 pm

If you take out the spark plug and tip a small amount of fuel down the plug hole, if everything else is correct then it will fire and run briefly. Then you can be sure it is problems with the fuel not getting to the spark plug, and not something else entirely.
The old tricks are still the best !
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Mon May 04, 2015 5:54 pm

Hello, thank you for the very concise and prompt reply. I can confirm that we have fuel from the tank, as it flows out from the pipe at the carb end easily. I have printed the scans off, but they are quite difficult to read. I will try to alter the scans before reprinting.

I will try the sniff of petrol in the bore and see if it splutters Smile

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon May 04, 2015 8:02 pm

nexsuperne wrote:Hello, thank you for the very concise and prompt reply. I can confirm that we have fuel from the tank, as it flows out from the pipe at the carb end easily. I have printed the scans off, but they are quite difficult to read. I will try to alter the scans before reprinting.

I will try the sniff of petrol in the bore and see if it splutters Smile

Sorry about the quality of the pages. I don't have a scanner so have to take photos with my crappy old cell phone.
If you save them to your computer you can use windows picture viewer to zoom in which makes it a lot easier to read.
Ensure that the carb will actually "flood" by holding down the tickler until petrol drips out. (Step 1 on fault finding chart)
Kim

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:43 am

Time for an update. This morning I actually had a bit of time to look at my neighbours bike. The carb definitely has fuel, but the main jet needle(bent) had to be replaced, as well as the pilot (broken). I have checked the float, and it definitely shuts off. I have wound the pilot jet right in, and then back 1.25 turns. I have been unable to check the main properly, other than to say that if I blow through the jet, then closing the throttle shuts it tight, and it progressively opens up towards 100% throttle. The mixture screw has been set at 1.5 turns back from fully closed.
There is a weak spark, and we have changed the plug, points and condenser. The plug is gapped at 20 thou, and the points at 15 thou (at TDC).
Apparently it used to go with about half choke and a swift kick, but this morning I have spent many times trying to get it to catch. It nearly went once, but then flooded.
It does seem that the fuel is running back out of the air intake and all over the floor, but the float stops the fuel, and the fuel bowl and gasket are intact. I don't understand why the float isn't stopping the fuel, as when the carb was off, I blew through the fuel pipe, and raising the float to its maximum stops the fuel easily.

I don't know how much I have got correct or not, as I am new to these bikes.

Thanks in Advance,
Myk

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

flooding

Post  piston 197 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:53 am

If the float is pushing up the fuel needle and shutting off the supply, fuel should not be able to run out of the carb as you describe, maybe the fuel level is too high when the supply gets cut off ? you can bend the actuating lever (brass forked item shown in first picture of this post on r/hand view) down to cut off supply earlier, also the float cannot be put in either way up, it has "bottom" marked on it to show which way it should be fitted ??
Things worth checking
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:10 pm

I will try bending the fork to make it shut earlier. The float is definitely the right way up, as I noticed the 'bottom' stamped on it earlier.

Thanks

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottT on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:12 pm

This might make reading the manual a bit easier.

1H manual
ScottT

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:22 pm

Ok, thanks for that.

I have now worked out that the HT lead, or rather the plug cap must be faulty. I have many plugs, and sometimes they spark and sometimes they don't. With the plug cap removed, and the lead put between the cooling fins, I get a nice spark from the cable inside the HT lead to the engine case, but when I put in any spark plug, the spark is much weaker or non-existent. I will order a new HT lead plug cap tomorrow, even though it looks brand new, there must be a break inside.

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

sparking problems

Post  piston 197 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:47 pm

Sounds like a coil problem to me ! see separate thread on 1H specific coils,
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Hi Piston

Post  A10 JWO on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:48 pm

Is this thread still active going by the date on the entry before yours. If they are that local to me I could possibly go and have a look.
Regards Colin

A10 JWO

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:53 pm

This thread is still active. I only posted the updates yesterday. John (the owner) had the bike rewired by a guy that travels all over the UK and sleeps in his van. From what I can work out, it is a new 6 volt coil that has been fitted, complete with new ht lead and plug cap. The guy that rewired it did take the carb apart, and bent the main needle and broke the pilot jet. Whether this was because he couldn't get it to run, so suspected the carb when he should have checked the ht side, I don't know. But what I do know is that prior to the rewire and new bits (as a result of mice using it as a new residence), it used to be one swift kick and it sprang into life. It won't even splutter on easystart, so the lack of a decent (or any) spark would make sense.

Hopefully the new part will be here tomorrow, and we can try again.
In general, the rewire is a very good standard, but just because a part is new, doesn't mean it works!

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

I H coil

Post  piston 197 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:55 am

If you put 1H coil into the search at right top of this forum , you will find threads discussing the coil , it is item specific to the 1H engine, still think maybe it has been fitted with wrong type of coil ?
There is even a topic about using a 2 HT lead coil and earthing one lead to get it to work ? do you still have the old coil that it used to run on ? maybe worth trying this back on ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 am

I have done the search for the 1H coil as suggested. Wow, what a lot of issues with it! I don't know if he has the old coil, but I will check to see if it is an AC coil, as I was sure it had + and - on the terminals. I won't get a chance to look at it now until Sunday, but at least I have a lot more of a clue for what to check.

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

It runs!!

Post  nexsuperne on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:30 am

Another update. Yesterday, we fitted a new plug, plug cap, condensor, points and remagnetised the magneto. It still wouldn't play, so I checked the wiring that was carried out by the 'professional'. He had connected the big terminal on the magneto to the auxilary systems, and the small terminal to the coil. The net result of this is that the big terminal should be connected to the 8x18 winding output (for the coil), and not the small 6x18 winding. The net result is that the output voltage is a 1/3 lower to the coil than it should have been. I wired it how the book has it and it started first time. BUT, that isn't quite the end of the story, as it spluttered out after a bit and then we have a dry plug every time, and the fault of fuel dropping straight through onto the floor is back again. The float definitely shuts, although the height might need a tweak, but can anyone confirm how many turns of screws/heights of needle I need please?

Many thanks. It hasn't run for over 2 years, so yesterday an old man was very happy!

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

settings

Post  piston 197 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:55 am

Original factory set for the carb was throttle needle in centre of slide to have 1.9" protruding below the flat of the slide and mixture screw 1 1/2 turns out from fully home.
Needle length may have to be increased slightly to allow for wear
Neither of these settings will prevent flooding of carb , this is controlled by the fuel needle and that height is determined by the parts themselves, flooding will almost certainly be caused by fuel needle not shutting off when required float height is achieved ?
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

The flooding aspect of this thread.

Post  A10 JWO on Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:31 pm

Look at my recent thread on a carb rebuild. Flooding after being primed ! Are you in S/E Essex ?

Regards Colin

A10 JWO

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:30 pm

I'm in Hullbridge, so just down the road from you Colin. I haven't had a chance to look at it today, as been writing up electrical certificates all day. Another sunny day wasted....

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

Help

Post  A10 JWO on Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:56 pm

Hi. I only work part time, could pop down most days after 12 noon and offer my limited knowledge. Two heads better than one etc Shocked

Regards Colin

A10 JWO

Back to top Go down

1h coil weak spark

Post  plugcap on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:42 pm

Have you managed to sort out the weak spark yet?,
Ray

plugcap

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:41 am

Yes, the guy that rewired it connected on to the wrong side of the magneto (6 windings, not 8 ), so that sorted the spark problem. Unfortunately, the same guy had the carb in pieces all over a concrete garage floor and bent needles and broke the pilot jet. We bought new parts, but have had to guess the settings. Hopefully with Colin's help on Saturday, we can set the carb up properly, as at the moment, the float shuts, but fuel is still running through and on the floor.

Last edited by nexsuperne on Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

Flooding

Post  A10 JWO on Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:05 pm

I Myk, I went to John's today re the flooding. He has the early S25 carb. we pulled it down and I found a ridge in the petrol shut off needle, you can even feel it with a fingernail. I suggested a new insert and needle which John will order. I told him how to get the old insert out by cutting a thread, inserting a screw and pulling it out with a slide hammer. The new insert should just push in and I suggested smoothing down the square edges of the new needle with a fine file. Back to you Myk. A pleasure to meet John ( Old School ).

Regards Colin

A10 JWO

Back to top Go down

Post  nexsuperne on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 am

That's great news Colin, thank you! It was just a bit beyond me. I'm glad you figured it out.

Thank you,
Myk

nexsuperne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next