» Trials sprocket
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:15 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

» F/B Falcon
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:43 pm by peter@dunfordconstruction

Falcon 87 Clutch Cable problem

Go down

Falcon 87 Clutch Cable problem

Post  devices on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:18 pm

Riding the bike today, went to change gear, clutch lever went in and stayed in.

Cable isn't broken at the lever end, its at the gearbox end.

Pulled the outer sheath where the cable enters the gearbox, and it has come straight out - with a bare cable. No nipple or anything on it, just a straight bit of cable. Have I lost some bits inside there? I've no idea how it all attaches until I take it all apart, which looks like kickstart and gearlever off, drain the oil, then remove and see whats going on?

Any diagrams about explaining how the cable operates the clutch lever?

Its a little frustrating as I was about to sell the bike, so I was hoping to avoid any more expense!

Thanks Smile

devices

Back to top Go down

Clutch Cable

Post  tbird on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Devices
You have lost the nipple from the end of the cable,and it is probably in the gearbox oil.(dodgy)
You will have to drain the gearbox oil and remove the outer cover, if you have a manual it will tell you to put it in a gear and remove the cover, this I didn't bother with but I am sure some members will disagree.
When you have found the nipple (it is about 1/4" dia) put it all back with a new gasket and oil and a new cable.
Good luck

Graham:lol:
tbird

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 87 Clutch Cable problem

Post  devices on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:45 pm

tbird wrote:Devices
You have lost the nipple from the end of the cable,and it is probably in the gearbox oil.(dodgy)
You will have to drain the gearbox oil and remove the outer cover, if you have a manual it will tell you to put it in a gear and remove the cover, this I didn't bother with but I am sure some members will disagree.
When you have found the nipple (it is about 1/4" dia) put it all back with a new gasket and oil and a new cable.
Good luck

Graham:lol:    

Cheers Graham!

I've had the cover off, in taking the cover off I'd knocked the gear lever spring parts inside the casing, so that'll be another thread trying to get that all put back together properly!

Found the nipple, still in the clutch lever, so will get another cable, another gasket, and refit it all.

Its a bit of a learning curve, I'm a youngster more used to running diagnostic scanners than actually taking stuff apart!

devices

Back to top Go down

Clutch Cable

Post  tbird on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:24 am

Devises

The secret is to get the spring and the dish that holds it in the correct position before you put the outer casing on, some people put grease on it to keep it all together while you assemble it

Graham
tbird

Back to top Go down

Post  devices on Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:09 pm

tbird wrote:Devises

The secret is to get the spring and the dish that holds it in the correct position before you put the outer casing on, some people put grease on it to keep it all together while you assemble it

Graham

Cheers Graham, I'll get the parts ordered and give it a go. All because the previous owner did a poor job of soldering the nipple on. Sad

devices

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down