» Powerbike pinking problem
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm by ztis1

» 6e carburettor
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 pm by piston 197

FB Powerbike 1939? Help

Go down

FB Powerbike 1939? Help

Post  johnsutherland on Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi, I have just been given a FB power bike.
The frame number is A on one side of the steering and 2950 on the other side and the engine number 3SH15842.
I have no idea what age or type?
It is black in colour, and I can see the fuel tank has had a transfer around the edge.
The frame has no suspension.
The engine clutch was stuck together, I'm awaiting gaskets to rebuild it the engine, the engine has one solid barrel, no cylinder head.
I have read that to start is to pedal hard then declutch, but could someone please explain.
The other way was to coast the bike and do something with the lever at the bottom of the engine, again please let me know what this is?
The rear stand, looks original, but it wont go past the brake tension screw, and there is nothing to hold it in place, advice on this would be appreciated. along with the above, age and design. john

johnsutherland

Back to top Go down

FB Powerbike

Post  FB vincent on Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:54 am

johnsutherland wrote:Hi, I have just been given a FB power bike.
The frame number is A on one side of the steering and 2950 on the other side and the engine number 3SH15842.
I have no idea what age or type?
It is black in colour, and I can see the fuel tank has had a transfer around the edge.
The frame has no suspension.
The engine clutch was stuck together, I'm awaiting gaskets to rebuild it the engine, the engine has one solid barrel, no cylinder head.
I have read that to start is to pedal hard then declutch, but could someone please explain.
The other way was to coast the bike and do something with the lever at the bottom of the engine, again please let me know what this is?
The rear stand, looks original, but it wont go past the brake tension screw, and there is nothing to hold it in place, advice on this would be appreciated. along with the above, age and design. john

John,

I think you will find that the frame number prefix should be 'JG' or 'KG' if it is indeed a Francis Barnett of 1939/1940. Look at the photos and stories on the Mopedland website, since these may help you identify it. An FB Powerbike user manual should be available from advertisers on ebay or elsewhere - this will explain what the controls are and how the engine starts and works.

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

powerbike

Post  johnsutherland on Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply,
the characteristics of the frame suggest a FB but the numbers you suggest is not giving me hope?
I have nitromorsed the whole frame and the steel wooled it smooth, the only letter is an "A" stamped on the top of the front forks head on the opposite side is the numbers.
if its not a FB does anyone suggest what it could be?

johnsutherland

Back to top Go down

identity

Post  piston 197 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:47 pm

Engine is a villiers Junior 98cc circa 1937/40 have sent you a p.m which may help
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: FB Powerbike 1939? Help

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down