» Plover 78 Front footrest
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:01 pm by Gyrocopter

» wheel bearings knock through spindle
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:52 pm by piston 197

Flywheel Magnetism

Go down

Flywheel Magnetism

Post  andy-s on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:17 pm

Hi All , does anyone know if there is a simple test to check if the magnetism strenth of the flywheel on a 6E. Ive changed the points and coil (all new) and fitted a bright spark for the condenser but still no spark. I Think the flywheel is the next thing but would like to see if i could check it before i send it away. This is all on a project bike but i would like to fire it up before the restoration. Any clues?
Andy
P S does anyone know where i can get a pair of tank rubbers?
andy-s

Back to top Go down

magnetism

Post  piston 197 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:27 am

Yes simple check , put flywheel on steel bench face down, attach a couple of cords and lift with a spring balance, if the flywheel is in good order, it should take 30+ pounds of force with a steady pull to detach it from the bench. Bit basic, but a good starting point
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Flywheel Magnetism

Post  Ted Snook on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:58 am

Villiers services can re-magnetise any flywheel for any machine. I think that they charge around 15, and certainly worth doing unless your flywheel is perfect, which is most unlikely if it has seen much use or been stored. John's advice on a simple test for the effectiveness of the magnets is spot on, as usual.
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

Flywheel Magnetism

Post  andy-s on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:19 pm

Hi , i did the test and only got to 12lbs before it let go but 8lbs of that is the flywheel itself . Do you think this would be the cause of the problem? i will give V S a call but have heard it could be upto a 4 mounth wait!
andy-s

Back to top Go down

magnetising

Post  piston 197 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:24 pm

Not sure ,but I think Nametab engineering 01527 522266 can do the job as well ??, worth a phone call
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Post  Ted Snook on Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:39 am

A Flywheel that weak is knackered. Waste of time bothering with it until it's re-magnetised.
Ted Snook

Back to top Go down

magnetism

Post  stuart elkes on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi Ted I visited Villiers Services today and told what had been put on the forum regarding flywheels and was treated to a demo of the process the flywheel was placed on a metal bench and I picked it up with one hand easily the magnetism read 3 on Steve,s meter after the process on his recently acquired machine I could not lift the flywheel and barely slide it on the bench it read 12 on the meter which is the top reading on the scale. Steve says he can do a return of post service because the process is so quick although set up for a different flywheel is a complicated process I have seen it it works and turn around is quick days not months Stuart Elkes.

stuart elkes

Back to top Go down

Post  EXJ17 on Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Hope that Villiers Services solve your problem.
However I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and sounded out many sources (including VS) to remagnetise the flywheel, but to no avail.
I got a rewound coil (eventually from VS) then my 1938 machine would actually start but with considerable difficulty.
As I used the machine the magnetism returned quite quickly so that it is now very good indeed and better than it has ever been in my 55 years of ownership.
There is an article about a seagull outboard motor somewhere on the web which explains why it works.
EXJ17

Back to top Go down

fly wheel

Post  andy-s on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:39 pm

I did speak to VS about getting the fly wheel remagnetised . We talked over the exact problem and the sugested bench test , the out come being its hard to measure the strenth of the magnets on a 6e because they are not flush with the outside of the fly wheel and so wont stick properley.He also said unless the magnitisation had totaly gone you should be able to at least get a spark . Having already changed the coil (which was U S ) new points and changed the condenser for a bright spark chip , i thought the problem had to be with the fly wheel.....Wrong!!!
It turns out the problem was with the small insulating gromit where the points hold the condenser box , it had a split in it which i missed! and so the point bracket wasnt insulated from the frame. I think it was Steve i spoke to at V S he was very helpfull and , if he wonted to he could have got me to remagnitise the fly wheel at extra cost but didnt .All in all it got sorted with with no change to the fly wheel , Steve from V S was extremely helpfull . the engine now starts and runs fine .
andy-s

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down