Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:53 pm by FBOVS429

» Cruiser 39 Dynamo
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 pm by kerabo

1959 cruiser 80 25T coil and exhaust

Go down

1959 cruiser 80 25T coil and exhaust

Post  birminghambarnett on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:56 pm

Hello To all

I have a Cruiser 80 250cc for the last 37 years , I rode with out caring about break downs broken pistons ETC for the first time last summer , it turned out to be totally reliable and good for 60mph + all day , more than 2000 miles were covered with no adjustments
I intend to do even more this year but would like to check a few items
The coil is the original WIPAC one so any recommendation for a modern replacement
secondly the exhaust was an pattern Amours item bough 20 years ago or more , it looks perfect still but the noise level is very high any recommendations for a good exhaust that will not limit the power as it fly;s at the moment and starts first kick hot or cold
As by the name I am north Birmingham area and will be out and about if there any locals around this side

birminghambarnett

Back to top Go down

Re: 1959 cruiser 80 25T coil and exhaust

Post  BarnettBilly on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi,

I too have been running the AMC engine, I replaced the coil with a modern standard 6v one (cylindrical). I have had no problems electrically speaking.
In relation to your exhaust I'm not sure how loud you mean, but mine is loud too on acceleration but once cruising it's quite "normal" for an old two stroke. Unless it's very excessive i'd say leave it because it's clearly not suffering from any back pressure etc.

Christian
BarnettBilly

Back to top Go down

Post  birminghambarnett on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:38 am

Hello Billy

I will get one as a back up and visit a few shows to compare the exhaust

As i mentioned i had the bike for 37 years and only ever road it up the road and back in fear of pistons rings breaking up from all the stories i have heard and read about , it turns out not to be true , i can belive there was problems in the early production as with many vehicles but it is solved .
The bike is totally original in terms of matching numbers and all its own parts but i have had to restore it some 20 years ago , it was bought to scramble around a field but luckly it was too heavy for me at the time so i stored it
Have you looked into a electronic points replacement ,
The only problem i have since riding the 2K miles is an oil leak from the main chain spoket shaft where it leaves the gearbox , this is a felt type seal so not the best solution , i am having it all machined up to take a lip type rubber seal which is an easy job to do

Best Regards

birminghambarnett

Back to top Go down

Post  BarnettBilly on Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi,

Yes, I think you're right in the fact that the engine probably deservedly had a bad reputation in the 50's when it was first produced, but I think an improvement in engineering techniques improved the finish. I had the odd leak too, but it was so insignificant that having tried to fix it several times I just accepted that it'd never be perfect. I think my engine lost no more than a couple of drips of oil a day. I can live with that.....

Christian
BarnettBilly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down