» Wheel bearings anyone?
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:55 pm by piston 197

» 1936 Cruiser wiring
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:34 pm by kerabo

spring saddle !

Go down

spring saddle !

Post  Greecegun on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:53 pm

as you might be aware im doing up an a 1953 Merlin! I'm slowly getting her all back together etc, but the one i have has the double (pillion ) seat... and i don't want that.
im trying to attempt to fit a single saddle. so thinking that it will be an easy job, is turning out of a conundrum !
i have bought a sprung saddle (with the two chrome springs at the rear) (BSA Bantam type) so thinking that i will be able to attache the rear spring to the frame and attach the front of the saddle by the petrol tank ..(jobs a good;en)

But, as always !!I cant seem to line any points of attachment up>
i know this is not the standard seat, but wanted to know if anyone else had attempted to do this and how they went about by securing the thing to the bike >> as the older versions had a single seat !!.. so any ideas please
Greecegun

Back to top Go down

Spring Saddle

Post  MoscowFlyer on Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi, here is a pic from the manual, hope it helps. Mike

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

Re: spring saddle !

Post  Jack Clegg on Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:15 pm

I bought the same type of saddle for my 55, same as Merlin rigid, but I guess yours is a springer 57? Probably the same size. Springs shorter maybe. Anyway, the nose wasn't wide enough & the rear spring mounting brackets too. I moved the rear brackets & welded them to match frame post width. Cut off front brackets, made new ones, welded them on at the correct width. A lot of work. The indian made type springs which come with it are far too rigid. I bought decent ones from armours. There is a bigger photo of my bike on here somewhere, so you can see the seat. Search for "excuse to show off newly completed project" or similar.
Jack Clegg

http://jackclegg.com

Back to top Go down

sadddle fixing

Post  piston 197 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:33 am

If your bike is the rigid frame as pictured above that is the correct type of mounting, there were a couple of holes in the front mount and adjustable threaded bar mounts at the rear, this was to adjust the height of the original Lycett saddle according to how tall the rider was,
If your bike is the swing arm model 57 then the mountings are similar ,but the saddle springs are shorter as the top frame rails run parallel rather than slope downwards as on the rigid.
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: spring saddle !

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down