Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm by ztis1

» 6e carburettor
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:06 pm by piston 197

Powerbike 56.

Go down

Powerbike 56.

Post  Bullet Train on Sat May 18, 2013 6:35 am

Good Morning,
My name is Alan, I'm new to F-BOC and I've signed into this forum to glean some information?
Recently, a friend has asked me to investigate selling an old bike of his, which he inherited some years ago. When I looked it over and took some pictures, I initially thought it was a Norman Model C Autocyle. The local owners club down here in Kent told me it wasn't a Norman, but possible a Rudge Autocycle (who Norman took over). With no documents available, I enquired with the chap who writes the monthly Unearthed column in Old Bike Mart. We have only the registration mark and Chassis/engine No.s to go on, and with this, I managed to get an archive copy from my library. This now confirms the bike as a Franci-Barnett, first registered 07/04/1952, here in Maidstone. Tha same frame No. is also recorded on the archive. The engine is a Villiers 2T I believe. I will be following the advice of the chap at OBM to recover, if possible, the original registration.
The bike itself has been dry stored for many years and is in remarkably good condition, proper oily rag. The engine turns freely and it looks complete. Eventually, we would like to sell this lovely little bike, but, we both admit, we have no idea of the value? I personally have advised my friend, not to put it on eBay? I would rather a genuinely interested enthusiast aquire it. To summarise, if there is anyone on here that could help us and advise us as to the value of what we've got, this would be much appreciated. As mentioned, the bike IS for sale, and any interested parties here would be most welcome to make contact. We are in the Lenham/Maidstone area of Kent, the Garden of England. I have plenty of pictures to view for anyone that request's the same. A response here, or through a personal message, or direct to me on: 01622 751 774 will be most welcome. Hope you can help us. Regards
Alan

Bullet Train

Back to top Go down

POWERBIKE 56

Post  MoscowFlyer on Sat May 18, 2013 9:29 am

Hi Alan, good to see another Francis Barnett turn up. As for its value, I have no idea, sorry. What interests me though is the engine, I've never seen one of these bikes fitted with a Villiers 2T, if that were so, it really would be a Power Bike, as the 2T is a 250cc twin cylinder engine, I'm not saying it's not a 2T but highly unlikely. No, this bike was fitted with the 2F Villiers which is a 98cc engine. Mike

MoscowFlyer

Back to top Go down

identity

Post  piston 197 on Sat May 18, 2013 10:32 am

Mike,have already sent the poster of this topic a p.m..difficult to help without ,frame No,engine No or picture of the bike,as for value ,same as anything it's what someone is prepared to pay,i would suggest an un-restored original un-registered powerbike if in sound ,complete condition is + 450 / - 950,and whereas i do some valuation work for one of the classic auction houses ,it's not an exact science,this weeks auction saw an unrestored ,unregistered falcon 54 rigid sell for 600 plus commission,(about right, i had estimated @ 500/650) and a rolling ,rusty chassis for a Cotton scrambler sell for 650 (ridiculous i had estimated @ 200/300), You just need 2 people who want something badly,
JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Powerbike 56.

Post  Bullet Train on Sun May 19, 2013 5:35 am

Cheers Mike,
Thanks for the helpful info, and to John as well.
Indeed, your correct, my typo mistake, it's a Villiers 2F engine.
Also, for your info: the archive's survive in my local library confirming that the registration No. OKO 468, was first registered 07/04/1952 to Redhill Motos, Maidstone. (The original brass supplying dealer plate is still intact on the front mudguard). The archive also tallys with the Chassis No. which is SN17794. The engine No. is 801 11273. The frame centre tube has the No. 4201 stamped on it. It is fitted with Dunlop Autocycle Tyres and, with the exception of the signwritten name on the bodywork, (ours looks to have been brushed over with black paint maybe), it looks exactly as in the photo that John has posted, including the rear toolpouch, horn, lamp, exhaust, rear stand and Lycett saddle. I'm quite amazed at this picture, as we we're sure this was a Rudge/Norman. They all seem to look very simiiar!
As mentioned, she turns over a treat and my friend did have her running a couple of years back, ticking over like a little sewing machine! But we cant be certain of how long this has been off the road. Not sure of how to put photos on here, but will gladly forward some if you'd both care to drop me your e-mail address. Or call me direct on 01622 751 774, we'll discuss further. This outlet and the club is probably the best place to find a good home for this machine. Time will tell.
Regards
Alan (Indian 500 Bullet rider/enthusiast with a Matchless 600 twin, in bits for 24 years, still awaiting restoration!).

Bullet Train

Back to top Go down

Re: Powerbike 56.

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum