» Cruiser 80 speedo
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:15 pm by piston 197

» Items wanted
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm by piston 197

Using external 6volt A/C coil - mods needed to original coil

Go down

Using external 6volt A/C coil - mods needed to original coil

Post  Blair on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:08 pm

I am about to fit an 'external' 6 volt a/c coil (from an FS1E) to my falcon to improve hot starting, and I have followed the detailed 'how-to's' available from forum members. A key step in the process is to remove all the secondary windings from the original villiers-type ignition coil. Can anyone tell me why this has to be done, or whether the 2ndary windings can be left intact ( but the HT lead removed from the coil), if I should decide to revert to the original ignition system?

This isn't purely of academic interest, as removing the 2ndary windings from a coil that has been caked in hard resin is not trivial, and there is a risk of knackering the coil completely.

Cheers,

Blair

Blair

Location : Glasgow, West End. 1954 Falcon 70 (3speed), 2012 Enfield Electra EFI

Back to top Go down

removing the secondarys

Post  piston 197 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:36 pm

Blair, the idea of the removal of the HT(secondary) windings is to allow the LT windings to be better cooled,it is not difficult, just slash the coil with a stanley knife and get stripping ,you will be surprised how much you remove before you get to the LT windings (and it is obvious when you get to them) remember to wrap the LT coils in insulating tape after.
I have even done it without taking the coil off the backplate,it's a bit fiddly this way and is easier if you remove the coil ,but it can be done,
John H
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Re: Using external 6volt A/C coil - mods needed to original coil

Post  Blair on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm

John,

many thanks for the response. I will persevere, but the coil I currently have (sourced from Nametab) has the constitution of a rock! A new stanley blade had little impact on it, and I have resorted to a hacksaw.

Removing the 2ndary windings does make sense in terms of cooling the primary ones. I wonder whether the load placed on the primary windings in 'driving' an external HT coil would make it run any hotter than when it is 'driving' the 2ndary windings that would normally encase it.

Or is the primary windings which (when they get hot) are the cause of Villiersitis? In which case removing the 2ndary windings - and letting the primary ones run cooler - is the course to take.

Cheers,

Blair
Blair

Location : Glasgow, West End. 1954 Falcon 70 (3speed), 2012 Enfield Electra EFI

Back to top Go down

Re: Using external 6volt A/C coil - mods needed to original coil

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down