Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:15 pm by piston 197

» Items wanted
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm by piston 197

How should I connect a Modern Bridge Rectifier to Rectifier Lighting Circuit

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Falcon 87 tank bracket

Post  FB vincent on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:26 pm

The falcon 87 Tank should have 2 studs at the front underside. There is a flat bar goes across them i dont have in but it should have. It would stop the tank flexiing i guess

Ken[/quote]

For info, the petrol tank strengthening bracket was a later modification; my 1960 Falcon does not have the studs and bracket and the tank has cracked more than once. The Cruiser has a better front attachment consisting of a rubber covered peg which fits into a socket in the tank. I suspect that the vibration from the 20T engine may be responsible for the tank problems. Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

Re: How should I connect a Modern Bridge Rectifier to Rectifier Lighting Circuit

Post  Rifleman on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:24 pm

FB vincent wrote:
I suspect that the vibration from the 20T engine may be responsible for the tank problems. Sandy Ross

In fairness to the 20T engine, Sandy, all engines vibrate. The trouble is, if you look at any saddle tank end on, you can see the resemblance to a tuning fork. Once the vibrations from the engine hit the resonant frequency of the tank, the sides will starter to flutter in and out, setting up perfect conditions for fatigue cracks to start.

I once had a BSA A7 which was lacking the tie-strap under the tank. Once you certain revs (50 mph in top), the tank sounded like a riveting hammer - yet once I obtained and fitted the strap, it never made a sound. I think it's not so much that the strap physically blocks the sides from shaking in and out, so much as it raises the resonant frequency of the tank above the highest frequency of vibration from the engine.

One of the side benefits of the Norton Featherbed frame was that it allowed the use of a flat bottomed tank, which was far more resistant to induced vibration from the engine.

Best regards,

Jack
Rifleman

Back to top Go down

tank bar

Post  kerabo on Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:37 pm

I shall fit one and see what difference it makes. I put the noise down to the head steady direct to thew frame bur we will see.
On my trials I used rubber bushes from a truck wiper rack to insulate the tank and seat

ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Re: How should I connect a Modern Bridge Rectifier to Rectifier Lighting Circuit

Post  Malfisher on Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:58 pm

all my tank has at the front is 2 x 20tpi bolts going direct into the frame? my (pretty useless) manual shows the same thing. Im actually really pleased with the 20T at the moment, it performs better than the 10e powered falcon 81 i had last year!
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Rifleman on Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:53 pm

Malfisher wrote:all my tank has at the front is 2 x 20tpi bolts going direct into the frame? my (pretty useless) manual shows the same thing.

Malc - if those bolts are anything like the ones on the Scottish Trials I had, I'm not surprised the tank doesn't rattle. On the ST, they went through extension plates which were welded on quite low down on the tunnel through the tank, and pinned the two sides of the tank firmly against the frame so that they couldn't flutter.

From memory, I believe James used a similar construction on their tanks, too.

(pause while I consult Arthur Gent's book!)

Ah, yes. Picture of a 1960 Falcon 87 on page 161; sure enough, two ears on the front edges of the tunnel, through bolted into the steering head lug. Simple and effective. I've no idea why BSA didn't do the same with their A and B series tanks.

Jack
Rifleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 pm

yes it seems pretty firm Jack, im only sorry it leaked, but, it was me own fault it looked great clean and solid so i never checked it. no matter it'll be done tommorow!
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Rifleman on Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Be thankful you aren't a farmer, Malc! (unless you are one)

The farm I live on was bought by the current farmer's grandfather - and is still a 'Work in Progress' Wink
Rifleman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2