» Cruiser 80 speedo
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:15 pm by piston 197

» Items wanted
Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm by piston 197

HT coil mounting - FB Cruiser Twin

Go down

HT coil mounting - FB Cruiser Twin

Post  FB vincent on Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:28 pm

My 4T engined Cruiser Twin was originally built to police specification with the Villiers high output generator, twin Lucas rectifiers 28040 and two Lucas DC ignition coils MA6. It would have been fitted with a large external battery on the outside of the frame to power the radio/telephone unit which was mounted on top of the non standard petrol tank.

The Cruiser is now restored as far as possible to the condition that I remember them when new with the battery and the two rectifiers installed under the seat. My problem is that the large Lucas HT coils (2 inch od x 5 inches long) will not both fit under the seat, and I really need a larger battery than the 6 amp one currently fitted in which case both coils will have to be externally mounted. Has any member managed to make up a suitable bracket to fit the coils under the tank - they would probably have to be in front of the cylinder heads. Any sketches or ideas as to how to fit them would be welcomed. I am not keen on installing the battery in the toolbox, which I know some owners have done. Thanks, Sandy Ross

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

coils

Post  kerabo on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 pm

I know it goes against the grain a little but do you have to fit original coils. cant you hide smaller ones.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

coils for 89

Post  tbird on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Sandy
I am doing the same thing and have got the 89 from Fred Carter, who is no longer with us.
But he had got two modern coils and fitted them under the battery box as you will see in the picture.
I think this will be Ideal.
See what you think.???

Graham (tbird)
tbird

Back to top Go down

Fb Cruiser coils

Post  FB vincent on Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:33 pm

tbird wrote:
Sandy
I am doing the same thing and have got the 89 from Fred Carter, who is no longer with us.
But he had got two modern coils and fitted them under the battery box as you will see in the picture.
I think this will be Ideal.
See what you think.???

Graham (tbird)

Yes, that's a possibility, since there is some space inside the frame lurking between the battery box and the rear mudguard, although I have not measured it. Do you know what make the coils are? - the electrical arrangement on my Cruiser requires 6 volt DC coils. Thanks, Sandy

FB vincent

Back to top Go down

6 Volt coils

Post  tbird on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Sandy
Mine are 6 Volt coils and they are (the name on them) JEC thats all I can tell you because Fred Carter bought them.
Sorry I can't help more.

Graham (tbird)
tbird

Back to top Go down

Re: HT coil mounting - FB Cruiser Twin

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down