» Buckled flywheel
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:41 pm by piston 197

» May help someone Handelbars
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:39 am by kerabo

Falcon 70 Centre Stand Spring

Go down

Falcon 70 Centre Stand Spring

Post  Maurice on Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:55 pm

When I bought my Falcon 70 it came without a centre stand or side stand. I managed to buy a centre stand but realised that it was not for a Falcon 70, as the wheels are 19 inch and the stand did not reach the ground. I welded a one inch extension on and all seemed well. Certainly as a means of propping the bike up whilst I worked on it the stand was fine. However now I have tried to fit a return spring I have a problem. The distance between spring locating holes is 3.75 inches in the up and down position but 3.25 inches in the half way down position. Hence the spring is under least tension when half way down, which seems wrong to me. The stand happily resides half way down!
Can anyone offer advice or indeed measure the distance between centres of the spring locating holes on their bike?

Maurice

Back to top Go down

spring

Post  piston 197 on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:53 pm

On the falcon the return spring mechanism is approx like this:imagine cutting the head off a 6" nail and then bending it 3/4" from the end you have cut off,weld a washer 1/2" from this bent end on the longest length and drill a 1/16" hole close to the end.Place this bent end through the triangular shaped lug on the stand and place another loose washer on it and a split pin.The other end then goes through the swivelling trunnion on the frame (assuming you have this) A straight spring of approx 4" length and 1/2" oudside diameter then fits between the welded on washer and the swivelling trunion.I am guessing you have a spring with a hook on both ends which will not work.The system is simple ,but you need to see one to realise how it should be.JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Spring

Post  Maurice on Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Thank you John. I think I can visualise it but as you say probably need to see one.
No wonder the British bike industry struggled when they made things so unnecessarily complicated!

Maurice

Back to top Go down

Re: Falcon 70 Centre Stand Spring

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down