Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:53 pm by FBOVS429

» Cruiser 39 Dynamo
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:10 pm by kerabo

My Falcon 81

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My Falcon 81

Post  Malfisher on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:32 pm

I think she's ready for MOT now. I got her in january, but decided a full new loom with solid state rectifier, stripped and rewired the stator plate, new main bearingss, and piston rings, also new clutch plates, drive chain and wheel sprocket and rear brake shoes. Waved a paintbrush round her as well. So all in all shes' up for it now. I hope! She started 2nd kick which amazed me Very Happy I might have a bit of an oil leak to fix though and I feel the needle might need lifting to richen her up on half throttle.

The Mrs made a couple of films of the testing out before I fitted new brake shoes to the back this afternoon, brake is pretty damned good now, front one is weak as are the forks springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3zUjUKEaug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkrARflojO0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Malc.

edit: oh, and I seem to have lost the 3 little screws that hold the points cover on Embarassed has anyone got any to sell? Or what size are they?

Last edited by Malfisher on Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add more stuff)
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Looking good!

Post  fulmar88 on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 pm

Malc, Nice to see her back on the road. I had 4 happy years 2000-04 covering 1200 miles. She even managed to get me to work at Longbridge a few times (a round trip of 70 miles). Hope you have as much fun as I did.

Steve.
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Re: My Falcon 81

Post  Malfisher on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Ta Steve, I certainly hope to have many miles of fun with her!
I still cant believe what a massive gap it seems to be between 1st and 2nd gear, but then Ive not had a 3-speed bike since about 1974.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Ive still only had chance to get a very short ride in, but, the news dont seem good. The bike went OK, and i stopped it at a mates house, he said lets have a listen then, and the villiers itis struck, it wouldnt go.

I had actually took the points off recently to dress them to get rid of the pitting, and since then Iit wasnt as good a starter as before. Today I checked the gap and found it was under 10 thou, ive reset the gap to 12 thou and the bike started first kick today, cold of course, and likely to be a bad ignition coil, but you never know I need to try it on a longer run. Ive at last cobbled a small toolkit together and a couple of spare plugs so i'll test her again Monday.

Also, Im having a devil of a job to stop the chaincase leaking. So far Ive tried a gasket (Payen) and wellseal, just silicon, and now Ive made a carboard gasket and using blue hylomar, so fingers crossed for that too! Anyone else found these 10E chaincases leaky?

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

81 problems

Post  piston 197 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Malc see my comments in "first ride of the year" thread,Steve has done the coil mod and seems o.k.,for the chaincase i clean both surfaces with spirit to remove all grease,i then grease the inner case and smear the outer with silicon sealant,allow to dry for a minute or two,then put outer case on hand tight,leave overnight.Then tighten fully and cut off excess.The beauty of this ,is everytime you remove the outercase the gasket comes away with it and can be refitted/re-used.Works for me ,JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Chaincase

Post  kerabo on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Malc

If its anything like the 9E and held by a central bolt. Be sure the bolt is straight it has a dowl one end and if the bolt is not where it needs to be the case goes out of alignment just enough to make the surfaces miss each other. Slight tap in the right direction was all it needed. When I have an engine apart I always flat of all surfaces on so wet and dry so they are back to being perfectly true. You would be supprised how far some of these old cases including the crankcase half sections are out.

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:55 pm

Ive allready flatted the cases on a marble slab Ken, also the dowel locates fine, I was surprised to have a leak at all. It's not a massive leak, but I dont want any leak whatsoever.

Im hoping mine will be OK John, but if the coil is kaput, Im going to do the same as Steve's done, there are Japan made coils available for 18 quid. Looking round I found a coil for about 40 quid (villiers) but I cant believe theres a place wanting 85 plus vat for a Villiers coil Shocked well, more to the point I cant believe anyone would pay that!

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

coils

Post  piston 197 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:50 am

Malc ,i get my external 6v A.C coils from Norman Blakemore (NJB SHOCKS) they were about 15 last time i bought one,and have had nothing ,but good experiences with them.JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Coils

Post  kerabo on Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:51 am

Malc when you buy the coil be carefull. I was taking such care fitting mine and then the small wire goes to a very small phillips screw so I attepmted to unscrew it only for ir to snap and make the coil worthless. it should have been soldered. Coil 18.00 Ebay

You must have other problems with the case. 2 flat surfaces that meet wont leak. On the old Gardner truck engines there we no gaskets just clean mating surface and wellseal compound My case had a very small crack at the bottom and it seeped from there.

Fok bushes in the post ignore the taper someone ground one it shouldent be there.
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:25 am

Ta for the additional info as ever chaps!
I'll keep you posted on the outcomes.

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:25 am

Well it's good news and bad. Bike started 2nd kick anyway. But since I was topping the chaincase up after curing the leak, yes it's cured for now, Smile I lost my bung from the top of the chaincase, because like a fool didnt tighten it up Embarassed so if anyone that has a spare they'd like to get rid of I'd be intrested please!

I took her out as planned and did a 25 mile round trip. First thing I noticed is Im getting clutch slip, but since Ive fitted all new friction plates, this may well be down to the oil Im using, wilko's 20/50 mineral, which works perfectly well in a bullet, but maybe not in a barnett. It slipped worse the longer I went into the ride but could be controlled easy enoguh from the throttle. Will the steel plates need replacing? They looked good to me which is why I reused them.

The kickstart also slips down if you try and kick it over at normal speed, it was OK this morning but not after I got back. Theres no noise to suggest a slipping kickstart gear so Im presuming its also down to the clutch.

Secondly the bike pinks slightly on hard pulling, I took the plug out and it's not so pale, but maybe it's pale for a barnett? anyway I spose raising the needle would be a start? I set it to Johns suggestion and as per manual but maybe it needs a bit more going through these days?

It was great fun to be buzzing round the lanes though, and I cant wait to get it right and pile the miles on!

edit: I forgot to mention that the bike needed around half hour before it would restart after the run, so I think the ignition coil needs replaced.

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

clutch slip

Post  piston 197 on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Malc,sounds like clutch is expanding with heat and taking up the free play,you need aprox 1/8" free movement at the actuation lever (gearbox end) when cold,i have always personally used automatic transmission fluid in my clutches on FB's with no adverse effects,bit harsher on chains,but better on plates and cooling.JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

Clutch

Post  kerabo on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:05 pm

Malc

If all else fails be sure the oil your using is not a car oil as these have friction reducers in and will make a clutch slip. Thats plenty thick enough fop a clutch anyway. Use a straight motorcycle oil or ATF as although thin is made for this type of use.

Regards Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 pm

Heres the latest, I went out and dropped a load off the gearbox end screw, so that there was a lot of play there, still the clutch slipped.

So Ive dropped it out this afternoon and washed the plates off in the bosh and put them back in, and that cured the kickstart slipping anyway. I did tend the think the round collar that holds the plate in wernt as tight as it might have been either so I made sure it bottomed out this time. The plates were really thickly covered with the oil and I believe that 20/50 aint suitable. Anyway, Im going to get some atf and test her again.

Have also had the carb apart for a check, it all seemed ok, I couldnt make out what the main jet was very well but think it's a 120. Also raised the carb needle around 1/32" and I'll try that too, if it still pinks I reckon the timing might want retarding a tad.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:11 pm

Latest instalment:

I topped the chaincase up again with 20/50 just to see if it was the collar not being tight enough, and sure enough theres not been a hint of slippage in the clutch, so we can rule out oil. I didnt realise just how tight the collar needed to be and so I obviously didnt get it tight enough first time round.

A cork from a Port bottle (10 years old) has been pressed into service as a temporary chaincase filler bung.

The bike still seems to pink slightly, so I'll retard the timing.

The coils is definately knackered, after an 8 mile run to my mates place, with some long up-hills to get it good and hot, I stopped it and it wouldnt restart till cold. When cooled started easily, so thats a job needing done.

So we are creeping forwards be it ever so slow. I aint got accurate figures yet but the mpg is alarmingly low, somwhere like 48 mpg Shocked, I hope Im wrong, but it is only for fun anyway. It is great fun to pop about on and will so far show just under 50 on the clock though I like 40 better! Smile

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

10E Chaincase filler plug and fork bushes.

Post  myquest on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Malc - Are you still wanting a plug? If yes, I have a useable one - not concours -but will do a turn.
P.M. me your address and I'll post it off to you - F.O.C.

Update on fork bushes. I've done the L.H. set. Seems good. I made them a very tight fit on the fixed stanchions which entailed a long 8mm studding puller to get them on and dragged the last bit over Loctite.
They are so tight I doubt it did much good but I can't imagine them shifting! Also put a small c/s screw in the top one.
Regarding honing the sliders, I found that the bores were lightly scored and various areas slightly narrower in diameter - (where the bushes dont operate so much?), so tried to even it out.
I've taken some photos - not yet worked out how to put them on here!Hope to complete the Old Tub tomorrow.
BTW -I reckon 38mm diameter bushings would have done the job - cheaper too. Doh...

Michael

myquest

Back to top Go down

Posting pictures

Post  fulmar88 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:31 pm

Michael, Go to www.tinypic.com , browse for your photo, choose message boards in the drop down menu. Hit upload and then copy the link for message boards and paste it on here. When you send the message the links become photos. Its very easy (but not necessarily exactly as I described).

Steve
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:04 pm

Be interesting to see the photos if you can get them to show here Michael, Im keen to re-bush mine as well.

pm sent regarding the filler plug, thanks a lot! Very Happy

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Front fork bushes

Post  myquest on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Thanks, chaps. Mal - I've got your info and will send off the plug/cap tomorrow.

Back to the forks. If you machine Oilite, it's imperative that the cutting tool is sharp. If not, it will 'drag' the surface and seal off the sintered pores. (Grandmother/eggs/sucking, maybe).

Michael

p.s. Been in an Aston Martin DB7 Vantage today - makes my XK feel a tad underpowered..!
myquest

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:06 pm

The FS1e coil came today, same as Steve bought, and Ive fitted it under the seat behind the r/h toolbox as that space I need for me sponners. It started 2nd kick so Im really chuffed so far. Thanks to John and Steve for the idea and info. Have also retarded the timing slightly. Will test her tommorow.

The wellseal and kellogs gasket seems to have stopped the oil leak from the chaincase too, so, fingers crossed for that as well.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Not good results really.

The bike started first kick from cold, so was very pleased, then I rode my usual route which is about 27 miles to my mates house, and stopped the bike. About 2mins later, so it was still good and hot, I tried it, and it started first kick, brilliant I thought. Smile

Then another bloke walked over from across the road, so by now the bike had been stood for about 5 mins. He asked me to kick it over to have a listen, but it would not go, however it did start with a bunk. Sad

Had a dabble with the timing as it was still pinking, didnt make any difference really, and Ive been messing about all afternoon, it is not very encouraging and Im fed up with it right now so am having a breather from it. The spark seems very weak. Maybe the coils a duffer? Can the points or the condenser cause a weak spark?

I cant find anywhere that tells me how to test these single wire ac coils with a multimeter, does anyone know how?

At least the chaincase is oiltight now, so Ive had some small success.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Timing

Post  kerabo on Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Malc

Condencers can cause lots of problems. Change it to be safe. There is not a lot to stop it sparking as its not flywheel mag so providing you have 6v at the coil and a good wire to the points if you make and break the points you should get a good spark. This pinking dont be confused with the normal noise these things make. You have an engine steady right under the tank and bolted to the head and I think it makes engine noises travel up the be heard. Mine makes a noise you could think was pinking but its not. More of a piston slap when under load.

Do you turn the fuel off when you stop?? Could be flooding.

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:50 am

I do turn the fuel off when I stop ken, sometimes a few seconds before I stop to get a bit out the carb. But, I take your point, it may well have been flooding, the plug is usually dry when I take it out.

Ive decided that new set of points and a condenser mounted remotely near the new ac coil will be the next step. Im presuming I just run a long wire to the points directly from the condenser?

As for the noise, you could be right Ken, but it's got all the ingredients of pinking, such as happening at low-ish revs say changing from 1st to 2nd as it pulls hard, and coming on as the revs fall on a long hill. But, Ive never owned a Villiers engined bike before so Im not saying it definately is or isnt.

I am learning these things thrive on revs and since for years Ive been used to a 612cc single that produces nealy 40lb ft of torque at somewhere around 2000 rpm, it's a different style thats needed!

And, aint they noisy after a while? My ears were ringing after 3 miles! Laughing

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Pinking

Post  kerabo on Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Sorry Malc

I thought we were on the AMC. Guess most of that still applies. Condencers are normaly next to the points. Its possibe there is a good reason but not sure. I would go as close as possible.

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Don't give up

Post  fulmar88 on Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Malc, don't give up. Once it's sorted it's much more fun. I did 42 miles today visiting relatives. I stopped 3 times and she started easily each time. I even travelled about 5 miles on the A5 at 55mph! And....nothing fell off or came loose today.

Steve
fulmar88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next