» Miller Switch for Cruiser
Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:06 pm by kerabo

» Vale Onslow parts on ebay
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:20 pm by piston 197

Old wire colours

Go down

Old wire colours

Post  Malfisher on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:34 am

Im rewiring the Falcon now, Im making a new loom right the way through. I would ideally like new plugs for the back of the ignition and lights switches as the rubber in at least one of them is perished. Anyone know where I can get these? Ive looked at no end of stores at Stafford ect and never seen a one, only the switches, which I dont need.

Also, some of the old colours are not available from where I usually get wire from, such as translucent and maroon ect, anyone know where this wire can be got?

Im not really bothered for the colour for concourse reasons ect, but it makes life a lot easier when you can use the FB wiring diagrams as opposed to me having to write a new one to accomodate different colours used in a new loom.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Re: Old wire colours

Post  andy4205 on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:39 am

Mal

for the rubber switch try http://www.catmando-services.co.uk/parts.html#switches

You need to solder wires on 5.00 ea

Cheers
Andy

andy4205

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:48 am

Ta very much Andy! Cool

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Old wire Colours

Post  Maurice on Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Vehicle Wiring Products 0115 930 5454 www.vehicleproducts.co.uk have quite a range of cables.

Maurice

Back to top Go down

Loom

Post  kerabo on Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:43 pm

Malc

What are you doing about the resistor wires? You will need something in place of them.

What colurs are you short of. I bought the whole lot and then because of the switch connectors went for a loom instead. I may still have some or can tell you where to go for them .

Ken
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:02 pm

I used VWP for my last loom for my enfield Maurice, but they dont seem to have all of what I need now.

Ken, the resistor wire looks OK to me, so Im going to solder it back in. I might try and get a new heat proof shroud for it though. What did you do with yours? Was it included in the new loom?

Also, does anyone know is there a way that I can test the rectifier to make sure it's OK? Or, is it easy to replace with a modern one with the same wiring, or does it need to be changed?

Been looking at it today and a mate of mine, him I was with at the agm has took away the colours Im short of so I might have some on the way, we will be doing one for his Cruiser 80 as well, so I need a double amount of wires.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Loom

Post  kerabo on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Malc

The resistor wire was in my new loom all I done was retape it all. I suspect you could use a modern resistor and I feel sure we had talked about this on here somewhere. You will be fine so long as you get good connections each end and to solder will be perfect. I think there is a long one and a short one in there somewhere.

Use a nes solid state rectifier they are easy to fit and trouble free and cheap. Ypu can fit your original wires to it but need to earth the POS.
kerabo

Location : Falcon 87..1936 Cruiser 39. Falcon 81 Green Lane bitsa. Sunbeam S8. Honda Deuville.

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 am

Ive got the old loom laid out on the board Ken, the way the resistor works is it runs towards the back, and is looped back on itself, and soldered to both ends to the translucent wires which come from the pos battery terminal and also include the main frame earth then runs forward and is soldered to the other end of translucent wire. Like I say, the wire looks good and it'll be no problem to reuse it, I think that someone mentioned Eureka wire is the same thing?

That modern rectifier sounds interesting, I presume from checking your spreadsheet, thats available from VWP then Ken?

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Parts

Post  kerabo on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:42 am

Its was a while ago now but these are freely available Was it vehicle wiring products or Paul Goff

Euraka wire is a name I have never heard before
Regards Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Is it this type Ken?

Solid state.
Fits positive or negative earth.
Diagram supplied.
Ref: W10134. 5.62 each

Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Rectifier

Post  kerabo on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:38 am

Yes thats the one You have to connect your earth to the central clamp bolt

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:25 am

Cheers Ken

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

wire colours etc.

Post  mike Sayer on Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Malc, is there any chance you can measure the resistance of the `resistance wire` in the loom? Would it then be possible to rteplace the wire with a resistor do you know?
mike sayer. Question Smile
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:02 pm

Hello Mike

We were actually talking about this on Saturday, and it sounds like a good idea, but Im afraid I dont have a clue what test to apply, or how, to the wire or what figures we'd need to get an idea of the right resistor?

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

Wire

Post  kerabo on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:57 pm

You only need a Omms meter connected to each end of the single wire. This could well be worth knowing. If for instance its 2 Omms you just need a resistor of the same value maplins would have this or if not i know where to get one. May be worth keeping it in the airflow just in case it needs keeping cool. Beware though some resistors only flow one way

Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Old Cable Colours

Post  fulmarma on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:14 pm

Hi Mike and Malc
I found this on the DOT website a while ago.
It shows the calculations for required resistor.
3.3 ohms @ 15 watts
Hope this helps!
If anyone knows a source for translucent cable please let me know or I may have to resort to using split speaker cable!
Regards
Dave

fulmarma

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:03 am

Thanks Ken and Dave for the info.

If I do manage to sort a resisto, and get translucent cable, I will let you all know!

Malc
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

wire colours etc.

Post  Mike say on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Ken, presumably when measuring the resistance, the resistance wire would need to be `working` ie. having voltage going through it, (presumably 6V) & the current in the wire measured or calculated (V=IR) so to ensure a resistor of sufficient current carrying capacity is used?
By the way, I received the badge this morning, I`m well pleased with it, thanks. Looks like I`ll have plenty of time to paint it indoors, sure as eggs is eggs, I aint going out in the garage to work in this weather!
mike

Mike say

Back to top Go down

RESISTANCE

Post  piston 197 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:54 pm

With regard to the DOT info: the DOT did not use the wipac alternator on any of their models,nor rectified A.C. ,they used the villiers engine with generator electrics,so can't see the relevance of their info with the AMC falcons and cruisers??JH
piston 197

Back to top Go down

No No No

Post  kerabo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:21 pm

No you must not have power in the wire you are checking for resistance or it will blow the test meter.

Its a funny old thing is restiance and takes a bit of getting you head round. Done it at college but hardly use it so a bit stale. Do a search for Ohmms law and have a read you can find out so much from a simple formula.

Pleased the badge is Ok You will need a steady hand for the letters

Regards Ken
kerabo

Back to top Go down

Post  Malfisher on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:23 pm

Im allready out of my depth here electrically speaking, I can rewire and make looms and stuff, but dont know all this resistance malarky! I went to college once, but it was to deliver a skip! Laughing

I will run this stuff past my compadre and if he understands it we do the test. If not, I think I'll just re-use the origional wire, it looks fine to me, along with a new type rectifier.

Malc.
Malfisher

Back to top Go down

old wire colours etc

Post  mike Sayer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks Ken, shows you how much I know about electronics! I`ll take your tip & read up on Ohm`s law, it`s surprising how much more interesting this learning business is when you don`t have to do it!
PS I went to college myself years ago, I think it was to see a girl......
Mike Embarassed
mike Sayer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down